walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Jeans question

Re: Jeans question

Postby CharlesT » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:00 am

Bag a pair o' these, problem solved. :D
Emilio-Comici173.jpg
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:261
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Ronnie Hillbagger » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:31 pm

Aye, tweed is the way forward and upwards.
Ronnie Hillbagger
Hill Bagger

Postby CharlesT » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Ronnie Hillbagger wrote:Aye, tweed is the way forward and upwards.

I had a pair very similar in my (very) early climbing days.

For the curious the pic is of Emilio Comici, the "Angel of the Dolomites" - first ascent of the north face of the Cima Grande de Laveredo among others.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:261
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby regedmunds » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:18 pm

I bought a £70 pair of Marmot walking trousers then a pair of Decathlon walking trousers for £7.99. The Decathlon trousers are so much better. They also wash so easily, dry so easily, weigh so little, are hard wearing and fit me perfectly.

My suggestion is to find your trousers (sorry I can't help you with this) but please do NOT buy waterproof trousers, horrible things in my view, a faff to get on, a faff to get off and you will get HOT in all of the wrong places! I have a pair of waterproof boots, a pair of waterproof gaiters and a RAIN SKIRT (homemade from Silnylon £10, have a look on You Tube) which when it rains, is on in an instant and when it stops, is off in an instant and then when dry squishes down to the size of a golf ball for storage.
regedmunds

Postby davekeiller » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:25 pm

The trouble with jeans is, I think, twofold.

The first problem is that once they get wet, they stay wet and lose pretty much all thermal insulation so you're likely to get cold and wet. It might be possible to proof them sufficiently that they repel water, although I'm not sure it's worth bothering.

The second problem is that denim's a pretty heavy fabric, which means it's not overly comfortable for walking long distances especially in warm conditions. The seams are also likely to rub, which would eventually get pretty sore.

A couple of brands (alpkit, paramo, maybe others) sell technical jeans which look like denim (for the casual look in the pub) but are actually a technical fabric for performance. That's a better bet than trying to proof your Levi's, although really the only solution is to go to a gear shop and try different pairs on until you find a pair that fit.
davekeiller

Munros:145   Corbetts:17
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Previous

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk