First of all, I’m new here and I have a few – I hope – simple questions. I spent some time searching for information I need, but with moderate success. I’m trying to complete equipment almost from scratch. I’m not advanced walker/mountaineer, so I’m looking for equipment with good quality/price ratio. Most of the time I will walk alone or with my 9 years old son. In most cases we will have 1-night trips. After this introduction I’d like to ask:
- 1. What is the best place to buy equipment, (ebay, Go Outdors, etc.)?
2. What maps do you recommend? Is there a good Highlands guidebook for those, who start the adventure?
3. Tent: somebody recommended me Vango Banshee Pro 200. It think this is quite popular one. Anything better for similar price?
4. Sleeping bag: What is suggested minimal usage temperature shell I look for? (Highlands, late spring, summer and early autumn). Any particular model?
5. Mattress: something self-inflating?
6. Cooking: I was wondering, if it is worth buying something like BioLite CampStove. Personally I thing it takes too much space in a rucksack, and is quite expensive, but maybe you’ve got good experiences with this.
7. Jacket and boots: Could you suggest just a brand, please? (good quality/price ratio)
8. Head torch: Petzl, Black Diamond, anything cheaper?
9. Thermal clothing: any brand?
I think that’s all for now. It’s quite comprehensive post, I hope not too much.