walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best lightweight shelter setup?

Best lightweight shelter setup?

Postby cbpowell » Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:45 pm

Being banned from the UK thanks to covid, I’m going through my walking kit. I did the WHW last year and loved it, but definitely could shave off some weight. I’m looking for a shelter setup with some specific requirements: don’t let me get eaten by midges, don’t get me wet in a storm (are tarps scotland proof?), and ideally, I’d like to be able to completely remove the fly on a nice night. I’m researching bivvy/tarp combos, and am really into the MLD solomid with the mesh liner. I’m 5’7 and prefer to hike alone. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
cbpowell
Wanderer

Re: Best lightweight shelter setup?

Postby rgf101 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:03 am

Tarps are doable, but I don't use mine unless I'm sure of decent weather and no midges, which is obviously a narrow window. In the right conditions, they're fantastic.

But for adaptability, you want a lightweight tent. I have the Laser Comp 2. Bad weather, I tuck myself inside. Good weather, I sleep outside it and scamper inside if it starts to rain. Open and pin back all the doors and you're virtually sleeping outside anyway. You could leave the inner at home, but I never do.

If I was buying again, I'd probably look at the Chinese stuff that gets mentioned on here - NatureHike is one brand - and get a lightweight tent which uses hiking poles to pitch.
rgf101

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:46 pm

Can't go wrong with a Solomid to be honest, I've got the Trailstar which I use in months where there's no midges.

The SMD Lunar Solo/Lanshan Pro 1/Pretent Soloist are all similar tents, but don't have a removable bugnet, but you can tie both doors back on the flysheet and have one side of the bugnet open for those non midge nights.
WalkWithWallace
Backpacker

Islands:24
Walk wish-list

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:27 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:Can't go wrong with a Solomid to be honest, I've got the Trailstar which I use in months where there's no midges.

The SMD Lunar Solo/Lanshan Pro 1/Pretent Soloist are all similar tents, but don't have a removable bugnet, but you can tie both doors back on the flysheet and have one side of the bugnet open for those non midge nights.

I have the Six Moon Design Lunar Solo, though I've not really had a chance to use it for long enough yet. With the porch open but the mesh closed, you do feel like you're sleeping out properly to some extent. I wrote about my initial thoughts here after a few overnights in it: https://www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk/six-moon-design-lunar-solo-tent

I love camping just under a tarp, but wouldn't in Scotland in summer just because of the midges. Its also nice to have a proper groundsheet.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:110   Corbetts:20
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:113
Wainwrights:71   Islands:5
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:06 pm

Mal Grey wrote:
WalkWithWallace wrote:Can't go wrong with a Solomid to be honest, I've got the Trailstar which I use in months where there's no midges.

I have the Six Moon Design Lunar Solo, though I've not really had a chance to use it for long enough yet. With the porch open but the mesh closed, you do feel like you're sleeping out properly to some extent. I wrote about my initial thoughts here after a few overnights in it: https://www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk/six-moon-design-lunar-solo-tent

I love camping just under a tarp, but wouldn't in Scotland in summer just because of the midges. Its also nice to have a proper groundsheet.

Midges are not the only thing to avoid,removed the inner a few times from my Hilleberg and woke up with slugs on my sleeping bag and a mouse or a vole on my face,that felt weird.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:42 pm

If I had the money I'd go Z-Packs.

If I didn't have the money I'd go Lanshan.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:8   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk