walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Travel backpack with suitcase opening

Travel backpack with suitcase opening

Postby Joey » Fri May 07, 2021 12:17 pm

Anyone got recommendations for a travel backpack with a suitcase style opening? I'm going on a 5 day trek later this year and would prefer a backpack that opens like a suitcase to save having to haul everything out and put back in. Also any recommendation on best size would be helpful too for length of trip - I quite like the look of the Osprey Fairview 50L, but not sure it's big enough for 5 days as I need to pack a sleeping bag as well as clothes and bits and bobs.

Any suggestions gratefully received!
Joey
Mountain Walker

Munros:66   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   

Re: Travel backpack with suitcase opening

Postby davekeiller » Fri May 07, 2021 7:15 pm

By a travel backpack do you mean a rucksack for backpacking that you're going to wear all day, or do you mean something more like a holdall that has rucksack straps to make it easier to carry for comparatively short distances?

If it's the former, then I've been happy with my Lowe Alpine sack. For a multi-day trip I'd generally go for 65l, but it very much depends on how much kit you're carrying. Are you self sufficient for 5 days carrying food, tent, stove and fuel? Or are you using hostels etc. so you only need sleeping bag, clothes and day kit? If the former, 50l might well be too small, but if the latter could well be about right.

It is absolutely essential that you try a rucksack on in store, preferably with weight in it. I tried various sacks on before buying my current one, and found that Berghaus and Osprey didn't fit my back properly.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Joey » Sat May 08, 2021 4:04 pm

I’m looking for a rucksack as I’ll be carrying it. No stove etc., as we will be staying in tea houses, just clothes and sleeping bag. I have a 50l Osprey rucksack that I could use, I just think having one with a suitcase opening will be easier.

davekeiller wrote:By a travel backpack do you mean a rucksack for backpacking that you're going to wear all day, or do you mean something more like a holdall that has rucksack straps to make it easier to carry for comparatively short distances?

If it's the former, then I've been happy with my Lowe Alpine sack. For a multi-day trip I'd generally go for 65l, but it very much depends on how much kit you're carrying. Are you self sufficient for 5 days carrying food, tent, stove and fuel? Or are you using hostels etc. so you only need sleeping bag, clothes and day kit? If the former, 50l might well be too small, but if the latter could well be about right.

It is absolutely essential that you try a rucksack on in store, preferably with weight in it. I tried various sacks on before buying my current one, and found that Berghaus and Osprey didn't fit my back properly.
Joey
Mountain Walker

Postby AspiringHiker » Sat May 08, 2021 10:30 pm

Gossamer Gear Ranger 35L or Osprey Talon Pro 20L might be close to what you are looking for. There are others; have a look in daypack categories in various shops.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby Essan » Sun May 09, 2021 9:50 am

I think most of the Osprey range have suitcase style opening? My Osprey Kestrel 58L* does and it certainly makes packing and finding stuff much easier. What size you need depends a bit on how small your gear packs down (I can easily fit everything including food for 5 or 6 days in mine, with room to spare - but if your tent and sleeping bag are quite bulky you might need something a bit larger, albeit the tent can always be strapped to the outside)

* the womens equivalent is the Kyte 56l
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Postby davekeiller » Sun May 09, 2021 11:18 am

It sounds like 50l is probably about the right size.
It sounds like you'll be in a warm part of Asia where a fairly lightweight sleeping bag and lightweight clothing will be sufficient and you won't necessarily need to pack for every eventuality like you would in Scotland. A slightly smaller pack is probably better because the old adage is true - whatever bag you take, you'll fill it.
If you've already got an Osprey sack and you're happy with it, I'd probably stick with Osprey.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Joey » Sun May 09, 2021 3:25 pm

Essan wrote:I think most of the Osprey range have suitcase style opening? My Osprey Kestrel 58L* does and it certainly makes packing and finding stuff much easier. What size you need depends a bit on how small your gear packs down (I can easily fit everything including food for 5 or 6 days in mine, with room to spare - but if your tent and sleeping bag are quite bulky you might need something a bit larger, albeit the tent can always be strapped to the outside)

* the womens equivalent is the Kyte 56l

Thanks, I won’t have a tent, just sleeping bag. My two Osprey rucksacks are top opening. Will have a look at the Kestral!
Joey
Mountain Walker

Postby Joey » Sun May 09, 2021 3:25 pm

AspiringHiker wrote:Gossamer Gear Ranger 35L or Osprey Talon Pro 20L might be close to what you are looking for. There are others; have a look in daypack categories in various shops.

Thanks, will have a look!
Joey
Mountain Walker

Postby Joey » Sun May 09, 2021 3:29 pm

davekeiller wrote:It sounds like 50l is probably about the right size.
It sounds like you'll be in a warm part of Asia where a fairly lightweight sleeping bag and lightweight clothing will be sufficient and you won't necessarily need to pack for every eventuality like you would in Scotland. A slightly smaller pack is probably better because the old adage is true - whatever bag you take, you'll fill it.
If you've already got an Osprey sack and you're happy with it, I'd probably stick with Osprey.

Thanks! I’m going to Nepal, so need a three season sleeping bag for the cold nights. I think 50L will be fine too, but good to get confirmation from others. I’m going to be strict with the amount of clothes I take. :lol:
Joey
Mountain Walker

Postby boriselbrus » Tue May 25, 2021 5:37 pm

I have one of these which I've used quite extensively for travel similar to what you describe:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-trekking-travel-backpack-50-litres-travel-500-grey/_/R-p-156348

It is excellent. Very comfortable, sturdy with good features. It is described as mens but my partner has used it as well and she says it's a very comfortable carry.

Hope that helps!
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Postby davy_ludo » Wed May 26, 2021 10:29 am

Would something like an Osprey Farpoint or Fairview work?
davy_ludo
Mountain Walker

Munros:63   
Sub 2000:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk