walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

3 season sleeping bag.

3 season sleeping bag.

Postby Jon and Jen » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:33 pm

Hey guys,
I recently replaced my Vango trek 3 sleeping mat to save weight. got an exped Synmat which is great for weight/space in my pack. I did notice the difference though. Sleeping during the summer I was waking up cold in the night. Wondering if there is a better alternative to my OEX Fathom EV400 sleeping bag. I'm planning the Scottish National Trail next year as covid stopped me before. Looking for something synthetic as I'm bound to get damp, light, warm and spacesaving. Would appreciate any recommendations. Hopefully not too expensive but I will spend if I need to.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Re: 3 season sleeping bag.

Postby AllyRdr » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:31 am

Maybe have a look at Alpkit? I haven't personally used one of the bags, though I'm probably going to get one next year to replace my Mountain Hardwear Lamina for 2-3 season use. They are a bit cheaper than some of the other bigger brands. I'm probably going to get a down Pipedream which is about £200, but the Synthetic Cloud Peak 300 is currently £85 if you're looking for cheaper.
The reviews I've seen for Alpkit bags are generally decent (if anyone has contradictory views, feel free to let me know before next year when I replace my own bag).
AllyRdr
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:07 am

I have a Snugpak Softie three-season with holofil synthetic filling. It is warm and comfortable, and long-lasting. I have had mine since 1995. I upgrade it to a winter bag by using a buffalo winter outer bag over it. Damp/frozen clothing can be thawed out and warmed/dried between the two bags. Smart move on the synthetic front; we are bound to get at least damp - welcome to Scotland! As Billy Connolly put it so eloquently; "Of course it'll rain; wear a [expletive deleted] raincoat!" :lol:

IMG_9901#r.jpg
Scottish Hills - probably damp...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:04 am

Synthetic sleeping bags are typically heavier and bulkier than their down equivalents, however you'll be alright with down as most modern bags can handle a bit of damp as the outer material is water resistant and the feathers are often hydrophobic treated. I've never had any issues with my down bags in Scotland. Alpkit are a good option for reasonably priced bags.

If you're avoiding down for vegan/ethical reasons, then I've heard good things about the Mountain Hardwear Lamina range.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby AllyRdr » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:32 am

WalkWithWallace wrote:
If you're avoiding down for vegan/ethical reasons, then I've heard good things about the Mountain Hardwear Lamina range.

I've had my Lamina 35 for somewhere around 15 years now I think and it's served me pretty well over this time. A bit more expensive than Alpkit, but definitely a good bag.
AllyRdr
Mountain Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2

Postby ahukippax » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:25 pm

I would go with a down bag purely for the weight saving. You will get more warm for your weight with a down bag. I did the Scottish National Trail in September and never had an issue with my down bag getting wet or damp. I used a Rab 500, my wife an Alpkit Pipedream 600. They pack pretty small and are lovely and comfy to sleep in. Alpkit occasionally do 'spacesaver' sales so if you can pick one up then they are pretty good value.
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk