walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

What sort of food to take on a long distance walk?

Re: What sort of food to take on a long distance walk?

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:02 am

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:36 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:
weaselmaster wrote:Huel Hot and Savoury. 8 different flavours now, just needs 250ml boiling water to make up (leave 5 mins, or in the case of the pasta ones, a bit longer 😅) Weighs little, takes up little space and works out at about £2.50 per meal.

https://uk.huel.com/products/huel-hot-savoury

I'd love to try their stuff out, but 60 quid minimum order is a bit much tbh! I did contact them to ask if they sold samples, but they weren't interested.

Yes, that is a bit off putting if you can’t try before you buy. I think it used to be £40 min spend, but even that’s quite a lot if you’re not sure. Samples would be a good idea. If you want to try them out I can send u samples of a couple flavours if u wish - pm me
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:55 pm

That'd be great buddy, happy to pay full price and postage, I'll drop ye a message :clap:
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Phil the Hill » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:21 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:
Veryhappybunny wrote:For breakfast, pancakes are wonderful! Especially with a little maple syrup Some mixes (e.g. Betty Crocker) just need water, but watch out as some need eggs which could end badly.

I've thought about this recently, the possibility of making up pancake batter and keeping it in a bottle, as it would be really easy to make then.

Ah, but if you're having pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast, you'll need bacon too (vegan versions are available, I believe).
Phil the Hill
Walker

Munros:274   Corbetts:30
Fionas:12   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:63   Islands:25

Postby Poocini » Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:26 am

Thanks everyone. Some very good suggestions there. I'm veering towards Army ration packs, as the GGW is a relatively short walk, and 3/4 days supplies wouldn't weigh that much. Depending on how that went, I'd then plan a bit more for the PW.
Having said that, I'll look into the other suggestions, as well, as I'm certainly open to different ideas.
Poocini
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:19

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:17 am

If you want to cut weight make your main meal a pub lunch, then go for a high protein meal in the evening both for satiety and muscle repair.

I like real turmat meals they are the closest to real food but not cheap £10 a go, I also take for longer walks an expedition foods 1000 calorie porridge in case I get fatigued and need a massive calorie hit.

For breakfast I make my own up of porridge oats, protein powder and skimmed milk powder if I’m in a rush I throw my coffee sachet in with it as well.

1 jelly baby = 10g of sugar = 40 calories of carbs (that’s my way of justifying buying loads of them, marks and Spencer’s are the best)

Snacks on the go like jerky, nuts, snickers, mars bars, Kendal mint cake and I always take or buy a small bottle of lucozade to get a sugar hit when I’m flagging.

If you going past shops buy food don’t carry it.

Write everything down do a meal planner so you can see what you need to carry what you need to buy along the way that way you only carry what is absolutely necessary.
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby gaffr » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:18 am

I try to keep food simple when out for two or three days in Scotland and the same for longer journeys on the French trails.
A bag of pasta, bag of muesli, bag of oatmeal, a few tins of fish with maybe in mustard sauce and some oatcakes....not forgetting some leaf tea for a brew.
Keeps me going for the two of three days when on the longer trails and when some extras can be picked up at the refuges.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby cruachan06 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:35 pm

Poocini wrote:Thanks everyone. Some very good suggestions there. I'm veering towards Army ration packs, as the GGW is a relatively short walk, and 3/4 days supplies wouldn't weigh that much. Depending on how that went, I'd then plan a bit more for the PW.
Having said that, I'll look into the other suggestions, as well, as I'm certainly open to different ideas.

As I mentioned, make sure that the pot you are using is big enough to get a pack in to if you are boiling in the bag. FRHs are an option but are yet more weight to carry in and out and cooking out of the pouch means a lot more cleaning up after.

I've got a few packs and FRHs lying around for doing the Clyde Walkway (Stages 3-5 so just an overnight) so if you need dimensions or weights on anything let me know.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk