walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

HANWAG boots

HANWAG boots

Postby gilliancummins » Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:50 pm

I'm really interested to hear from anyone who has direct experience of buying/wearing HANWAG boots. My partner suffers from a bunyan (getting worse). We're a bit apprehensive that we might solve the bunyan problem but run into other issues, since neither of us have worn Hanwag footwear before. Our hillwalking is confined to summer/early autumn, so no need for a crampon-fitting boot. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
gilliancummins
Munro compleatist

Munros:209   Corbetts:36
Fionas:20   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:81   Hewitts:98
Wainwrights:214   Islands:30

Re: HANWAG boots

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:40 pm

I had a pair, (Alta) and they definitely accommodated my mild bunions. Comfortable and grippy. However my gripe was the stitching around the side of the toebox came away letting in water. The soles were on the way out anyways.

I'm getting on better with Keen boots these days, bunions are far less troublesome in them as they have really wide toebox, but a narrow heel.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Booga » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:42 am

It may be worth talking to an outdoor boot retailer that offers boot stretching. I've seen boot stretchers with additional lumps that can be added to help accomodate bunions or wide toes in places some extra room is needed, this tends to only work with leather upper boots, not synthetic ones.
Alt-Berg may be worth looking at too, they offer a lot of their boots in 5 different widths and have a good boot fitting service.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:00 am

Booga wrote:It may be worth talking to an outdoor boot retailer that offers boot stretching. I've seen boot stretchers with additional lumps that can be added to help accomodate bunions or wide toes in places some extra room is needed, this tends to only work with leather upper boots, not synthetic ones.
Alt-Berg may be worth looking at too, they offer a lot of their boots in 5 different widths and have a good boot fitting service.

Good point, Craigdons stock Alt-Berg and they stretched out my old boots (wide) before I had the Hanwag efforts.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby simon-b » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:37 am

It also depends on the shape of your partner's feet, and whether the boot's fit is suitable. I once tried on a pair of Hanwags. The outside was far too tapered for me, and my little toe very squashed. I find the same thing with Adidas trainers so I don't use those. Some other people's feet would be fine with them of course, but very important to try them on and give them a good evaluation before buying.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby davekeiller » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:30 pm

Presumably we're talking about the Hanwag bunion range, which is shaped to accommodate bunions?
Obviously absolutely essential to try on and ensure they fit properly.
If the bunion isn't too bad, it might be possible to stretch and existing pair of boots.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk