walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Tent ruined by machine wash?

Tent ruined by machine wash?

Postby FiferStu » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:36 pm

Hello everyone,

Looking for advice here. I dug out an old tent which I hadn't used in 15 years. I pitched it in the garden and immediately noticed how sticky the fabric of the flysheet felt. I decided it needed a proper wash, so I stuck it in the washing machine, normal cycle 40 degrees, with Tech Nik Wax.

The photos show the result. It looks like the seam seals, if that's what you call them, have peeled off, and are sticking to the inside of the flysheet. Not only that, but the machine wash has done nothing to remove that horrible stickiness.

So, advice would be greatly appreciated. Is the tent fit for the bin? Is it worth waiting for the tent to dry, then attempting to use seam sealant? As for the stickiness - what the hell is it? Could it be some sort of residue that's built up while the tent has not been in use for the last 15 years?

I really don't want to throw it out. It's a good 2-man tent, although probably quite heavy by today's standards.

Grateful for any replies.
Attachments
photo_2022-08-14 13.21.45.jpeg
photo_2022-08-14 13.21.51.jpeg
photo_2022-08-14 13.21.58.jpeg
FiferStu
Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:14
Fionas:15   Donalds:28
Sub 2000:10   

Re: Tent ruined by machine wash?

Postby davekeiller » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:05 pm

Looks like the tape has disintegrated, and the stickiness is probably the residue.
I'd get it professionally re-done, I've used these guys before: https://www.scottishmountaingear.com/repair-service/tent-repairs
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Ewen1966 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:43 pm

FiferStu wrote:Hello everyone,

Looking for advice here. I dug out an old tent which I hadn't used in 15 years. I pitched it in the garden and immediately noticed how sticky the fabric of the flysheet felt. I decided it needed a proper wash, so I stuck it in the washing machine, normal cycle 40 degrees, with Tech Nik Wax.

The photos show the result. It looks like the seam seals, if that's what you call them, have peeled off, and are sticking to the inside of the flysheet. Not only that, but the machine wash has done nothing to remove that horrible stickiness.

So, advice would be greatly appreciated. Is the tent fit for the bin? Is it worth waiting for the tent to dry, then attempting to use seam sealant? As for the stickiness - what the hell is it? Could it be some sort of residue that's built up while the tent has not been in use for the last 15 years?

I really don't want to throw it out. It's a good 2-man tent, although probably quite heavy by today's standards.

Grateful for any replies.

Sounds like it was already delaminating before you washed it. The sticky stuff was the PU breaking down. You could try reproofing and seam sealing it but I doubt it would work. Also, are you sure all the soap residue was out of the machine as detergent kills both synthetic and cotton tents
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   

Postby Booga » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:13 am

I've seen various cases of seam sealing or bonded seams coming away in the wash. Usually because they couldn't handle whatever temperature the items were being washed at.

If you're prepared to spend a relatively small amount of money to potentially save a nice tent then I'd suggest tyring to seam seal it and use a spray on tent reproofer (not a wash in one) and see how it goes. No guarantee it will work though but worth a try.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby Scottk » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:56 pm

As Ewan said, it looks like it was delaminated and washing won’t help. Had this on a tent and had to admit defeat and chuck it.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby davekeiller » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:38 am

It's difficult to tell from a photo, but if it's only the tape on the seams that's de-laminating, then getting the seams re-taped should work. If the fabric itself has deteriorated, then the flysheet has probably had it.
It might be possible to DIY, but a professional will do a better job. They'll also likely be able to advise whether it's beyond economical repair. If you contact Wild Country, it *might* be possible to replace the flysheet if the rest of the tent is still Ok - this depends on whether they still make that model and/or have any in stock.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Skyelines » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:08 am

I conducted an experiment with an old (40 years) rucksack that has a PU coated extension that has gone very sticky.

I rubbed talc onto the surface (you should be able to get non scented talc). It seemed to cure the stickiness as I presume it forms a coat over the sticky PU.

As an additional experiment I the wiped the Talc off with a damp cloth to see if the stickiness returned. It did but was less sticky the before treatment. However, I noticed that rubbing also started to remove the PU coating from the fabric which would suggest that the coating is breaking down.

My conclusion- rubbing talc on the sticky surface is best option and leave it on.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk