walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

What bike do I need?

Re: What bike do I need?

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:20 pm

Cheers for the input, folks. At the moment I think I'll look at getting a Trek Marlin 6 or 7. Seems to tick most of the boxes for a decent entry-level mtb.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:04 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:Cheers for the input, folks. At the moment I think I'll look at getting a Trek Marlin 6 or 7. Seems to tick most of the boxes for a decent entry-level mtb.

They both look like great bikes and perfect for the task. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby cruachan06 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:19 pm

I went to look at a Carrera Hellcat yesterday from Gumtree, ended up not buying it as Halfords website says XL frame size is right for my height. It is not. However was talking to my Uncle later on and he said to me he can't ride anymore so gave me his old bike, which is an Apollo Slammer (also Halfords brand). Heard horrible things about them online but at least means I can have a go without spending any money. :D

The Carrera Hellcat is well reviewed, but even better reviewed is the 2021 Fury. However they are hard to find, according to the guy in my local Halfords (who very kindly helped me find the right frame size even though they didn't have any Hellcats in stock) said there were less than 100 delivered to the UK. He also said he highly recommended the Hellcat and rode one himself, even though he didn't have one to sell me, so take that for whatever it's worth.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby rockhopper » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:05 pm

cruachan06 wrote:Heard horrible things about them online but at least means I can have a go without spending any money. :D

If you're not sure at all about which bike you want, this sounds ideal. You may find it does what you need for basic access to the hills. I've seen plenty of people happily using older, heavier steel bikes to reduce walking distances.
You may, however, find that you want something better but will then be better placed to assess different bikes. The Fury has longer suspension travel but a smaller wheel than the Hellcat. The Fury has a single front cog giving 10 gears but on better spec'd Deore whereas the Hellcat has 2x8. Different people like different specs, eg I can use all 27 (3×9) on my bike on many rides.
Have a go, try it out and then you'll be better placed to assess 😀
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:39 am

cruachan06 wrote:Apollo Slammer (also Halfords brand). Heard horrible things about them online but at least means I can have a go without spending any money. :D

Great stuff! Free is my favourite price-point.

As for reviews, well, mixed reviews at least. I've found their defenders (5+ years of use without issue) so it might not be ALL bad.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby davekeiller » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:00 pm

Apollo is the Halfords basic brand, Carrera is their mid range brand.
You'll probably find that the frame is heavier, and components like the gears aren't as good on the apollo. It sounds like the Apollo would be a good "starter" bike, and might be useful in terms of showing you what to look for when you buy your next bike.
Remember, too, that lots of components can be upgraded either yourself or by a local bike shop.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:27 pm

Thanks for all the input folks. Ended up going with a Trek Marlin 7. Had it out a couple of times and seems ideal.

Quite glad I haven't yet done Carn Ban and Stob an Aonach Mhoir now as cycling seems a lot less gruelling than walking those!
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:17 am

Good stuff, can't go wrong with a Trek.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby mfindlay » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:00 pm

Interesting thread, I've been thinking about bike / hike as well. My son would love that I think.

I used to have a cheap Revolution Cullin which sounds like it might have been perfect, though I sold it a few years ago.

I have, my wife says, too many bikes already (4 is not too many!) so buying another cheap MTB could be relationship ending.

I do have an old steel commuter which I built with curly bars which I could hybridise quite easily, I handbuilt the wheels (good rims, 36 spokes) about 8 years ago and they still run true with a reasonable chunk of my commute on off road trails with heavy pannier bags on. I think the wheels and frame coild take 32mm CX tyres, so may do the job.

What ratios would folks recommend? The commuter has 50/36 on the front and 32 on the back. Would that be wide enough range, or would a 46/30 on the front be better? Some of the trails I've seen don't look all that steep before drop off points.
mfindlay
Backpacker

Munros:11   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby flyfifer » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:26 pm

My two pence worth.
However many teeth the granny gear has -- fit a replacement one (or two -eek??) teeth less.
the deraillieur might not cope but its worth a try.
But make sure you know the as purchased, gear set up , works smoothly - every time ,before you fiddle.

Being able to drop into granny gear, under load, is a joy.
flyfifer

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:38 pm

Aye, off road on long ups 36x32 won't be great, unless you're a strong cyclist.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby mfindlay » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:02 pm

OK, will think about for the boys next bike, his current bike may not have the gearing so I might have to buy him an MTB next year (he's almout grown out of his current bike anyway).

I'm a 100 mile cyclist when fit (though not at the moment), so I think I can manage 3-8 miles at 5% -10% gradients off road in my current low gear (cycled up Beallech na ba, on a 42 front. 25 back), however the point of hillwalking is not to be done in at the foot of the hill, so the cost of a cheap MTB from Halfrauds on Cycle to work (halfords ok if you don't let them build it) might be cheaper than buying a MTB specific groupset and straight handlebars for my commuter.

I'll try once and see how I get on with the boy, but we may both have new bikes next yaer if it proves too difficult/tiring with current set up. :)

Thanks for advice.
mfindlay
Backpacker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:58 pm

I'd look at the used market, it's fallen off since the madness of the covid tax, you'll get a much more capable bike than a cheap Halfords one.

The Halfords bike will get you where you want to go, but a better used bike will last a **** load longer, be lighter and more reliable.

Cheap, light, strong, as a very wise person once said, pick 2.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby mfindlay » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:40 pm

I normally build my own bikes from frame and components up (except my Pashley which was off the shelf), and like I mentioned I have 4 other bikes already, so I honestly would have no use for a MTB other than bike/hike, so it might get used a dozen times a year. For this it doesn't feel worth the investment of a more expensive bike, and components are easily diy replaceable/upgradeable if they do go.

The main problem with Halfords bikes (or Halfrauds in the cycling community) is the mechanics. If you don't let them near them, and build yourself they tend to last just fine (at least all of the boys have).
mfindlay
Backpacker

Postby matt_outandabout » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:50 pm

The main problem with Halfords bikes (or Halfrauds in the cycling community) is the mechanics. If you don't let them near them, and build yourself they tend to last just fine (at least all of the boys have).

I just sorted a colleagues new bike this week from Halfords - I test rode it and found the rear derailleur set up really badly (not enough b-screw tension), front derailleur mounted too high, and the front brake barely biting.....15 mins of spannering and the owner couldn't believe how well the gears work and bike stops.

And earlier in the year met a chap on a ride on a brand new bike - with forks back to front....

Both from Stirling Halfords....never, ever, ever again....
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk