walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best boots for plantar fasciitis?

Best boots for plantar fasciitis?

Postby Walkies999 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:06 am

Hello All,

I’m looking to replace my Salomon GTX boots after 3 years and need something comfortable as I have bother with plantar fasciitis. Merrell Moab Mid seem recommended for comfort but the reviews are mixed (lots of leaks and complaints for long walks) and Alfa Holt also recommended but I’ve never heard of them. Suggestions welcome please!

Main use is for munro bagging,

Walkies999
Hill Bagger

Munros:28   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Best boots for plantar fasciitis?

Postby donalmc » Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:39 am

I had it for years stretching foot and good insoles worked for me lot of folk different views , painfull though at begining.Was using Solomon's at time also ,they didnt last long but comfy got through it .
donalmc
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:136
Fionas:82   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:16   
Islands:24

Postby jmarkb » Fri Dec 01, 2023 9:17 am

I think you should probably focus on buying boots that fit well and are comfortable, then choose the right insoles to help with the plantar fasciitis. Good insoles are not cheap, but in my experience they are worth spending the money on: they last well and you can move them between different pairs of shoes/boots.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Booga » Fri Dec 01, 2023 10:42 am

An aftermarket insole is going to be the thing to look at. Most walking boots come with a pretty flimsy insole (even the expensive boots) as they're such a personal thing that putting a "good" one in would push the price up and would probably still get swapped out by a lot of customers anyway.

I'd recommend talking to a good fitter in a running or hiking shop who knows what they're talking about, or a podiatrist, or both (I know one of the larger outdoor retailers once had a private podiatrist working in the same building who would happily offer advice to the boot fitters and customers). If you're looking at getting new footwear then trying new boots and new insoles in the same fitting process would be the way to go.

Be aware that any insole with decent arch support is goig to feel strange compared to the basic ones that come in most shoes and may take a few days to get used to. I know that Superfeet brand has a comfort guarantee that means you can return them if you find they are not for you, they are a fairly expensive initial outlay but last a long time and in my opinion it's worth spending money on getting foot issues sorted for hillwalking.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby simon-b » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:30 pm

Hi Walkies999.
I agree with the others that insoles are a good idea. But before paying a lot of money on custom fitted ones, you could first try an affordable type such as X-line. I used these in rigid 4 season boots and found them a big help with heel pain which was probably plantar fasciitis. I've also used Heelfix insoles (somewhere between X-line and standard footbeds) in summer boots. The suppliers of Heelfix also supply foot massage balls and instructions for exercises with them which can ease plantar fasciitis.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:39 pm

From my experience its worth seeing a podiatrist before you go trying a zillion different insole/boot combos that might even exacerbate your issues.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby cruachan06 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 8:29 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:From my experience its worth seeing a podiatrist before you go trying a zillion different insole/boot combos that might even exacerbate your issues.

Agreed. Also a podiatrist can advise on appropriate stretches and/or exercises to help with the issue. Weak calf muscles is a common cause of the problem in addition to footwear.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby simon-b » Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:58 am

I agree getting good guidance on suitable exercises is a good idea. I've used insoles for support during periods of pain until things have got better, but best to address the root cause of the problem rather than develop a long term dependency.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk