walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best tick repellent for tents and gear?

Best tick repellent for tents and gear?

Postby KC Pendragon » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:26 pm

Any recommendations for tick repellent spray for tents, gear and apparel please?
KC Pendragon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:138
Fionas:12   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:7

Re: Best tick repellent for tents and gear?

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:14 am

Lifesystems Ex4 contains permethrin, and is for treating clothing and gear. Keep in mind it reduces your LNT due to the impact on biodiversity where ever you pitch.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby JuliaS » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:04 pm

To repel ticks I usually use a good insect repellent that contains 50% Deet. I'll spray my boots and lower legs below knee. However, it does tend to leave a faint oily stain (which washes out). On an old pair of walking trousers thats not a particular problem, however, I have no idea what it might do to tent fabric etc?
JuliaS

Postby Skyelines » Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:00 am

DEET damages plastic and some other synthetic materials. I'd be wary of spraying it on tents and gear made with synthetic fibres.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby JuliaS » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:45 pm

I have given my back pack brief mists of DEET repel ants. I cant say I've noticed any problems though but maybe I'll keep to pemytherin from now on. I've never felt the need to do my tent and would be wary of doing so. I have given a swish in the grass/veg in front of the door though. Instead I focus mostly on me! Followed by a good post walk examination and shower.

Tick and Lyme disease is a issue over the whole of the UK now and needs to be taken seriously. I got infested with the buggers last year on the North York Moors.
JuliaS

Postby AspiringHiker » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:12 pm

There is only one widely used fabric treatment chemical: permethrin. It the same thing used for treating bed nets in tropical countries. Permethrin is insecticide, unlike DEET and Picaridin (Smidge) which are repellents. Another difference is that DEET and Picaridin are applied on skin, but permethrin only on fabrics. It's also long lasting - single treatment should last whole season. Since it's insecticide, the ticks will crawl on your gear; however, they normally die within few minutes of contact with the treatment fabric. I use Lifesystems Ex4 from high street shops mainly because I don't trust products on amazon.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby Ian Johnston » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:01 pm

For clothing, I've found that Hagopur Tick Repellent is really effective. It's sold under a couple of different trade names and is available online.

No DEET - and it works! Tiny bottle, but lasts through a year of regular wild camping

Cheers

Ian
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby AspiringHiker » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:45 pm

Ian Johnston wrote:For clothing, I've found that Hagopur Tick Repellent is really effective. It's sold under a couple of different trade names and is available online.

No DEET - and it works! Tiny bottle, but lasts through a year of regular wild camping

Cheers

Ian

I think the active ingredient is IR3535, I don't recall seeing it in the UK very much.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:54 am

WalkWithWallace wrote:Lifesystems Ex4 contains permethrin, and is for treating clothing and gear. Keep in mind it reduces your LNT due to the impact on biodiversity where ever you pitch.

This 100% 👍
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby JuliaS » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:09 pm

Well the 2 months of Doxycycline I took to knock out Lyme disease probably had an impact on biodiversity as well :roll:
JuliaS

Postby AspiringHiker » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:18 pm

JuliaS wrote:Well the 2 months of Doxycycline I took to knock out Lyme disease probably had an impact on biodiversity as well :roll:

While insecticide/repellent is an important tool, another vital one is regularly checking yourself for ticks. Unlike malaria from mosquitoes, Lyme takes a while to pass from tick to you, so a daily check dramatically reduces your chances of catching it.

[In public service announcement voice] Please don't underestimate the importance of this! :)
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby JuliaS » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:49 am

AspiringHiker wrote:
While insecticide/repellent is an important tool, another vital one is regularly checking yourself for ticks. Unlike malaria from mosquitoes, Lyme takes a while to pass from tick to you, so a daily check dramatically reduces your chances of catching it.

[In public service announcement voice] Please don't underestimate the importance of this! :)

Yes absolutely! Unfortunately its seems many people dont take this seriously.
My routine after a walk/camp is a thorough top to bottom check, shower and change of clothes.

Last summer after a trip to the North York Moors I was crawling with the tiny blighters.
JuliaS

Postby JuliaS » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:22 am

A couple of other salient facts regarding ticks and Lyme disease. From what I've read/heard.

It appears that whilst most ticks dont carry the bacteria but about 20% do. Of these there seem to be clusters of those that do that are much higher than this. East Dunbartonshire appears to be one such cluster. There are of course others.

It can take 24 hours or so to transfer into your blood from a tick bite. So even if a tick does carry it if you remove immediately you may be OK.

The strategy therefore seems to be:
Prevent with clothing and repellents
Inspect thoroughly and remove promptly.
Be aware of signs and symptoms and Get medical help immediately if so (remember if caught early its easily knocked out with anti-bio tics whereas later it can get ingrained)

Take seriously but dont let it spoil you enjoyment of the outdoors!
JuliaS

Postby Alex W » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:54 am

It's impossible to over estimate the impact of getting Lymes and then leaving it untreated. My son contracted Lymes as a teenager while on holiday near Aviemore. We were living in Surrey at the time and despite my son having the tell tale bulls eye rash, doctors wouldn't prescribe high dose antibiotics - the move to avoid antibiotic resistance seemed to overcome the recognition that it's needed to treat Lymes. There was very little awareness of Lymes at that time - maybe a doctor in Scotland would have been more clued up, but not in Surrey (ironic as Surrey is now a Lymes hotspot).

The impact has been severe. Some 15 years later my son suffers from chronic lack of energy. He can't work full time and instead just about manages a three day week. From being an active outdoors person he is only now able to get out for modest runs on his e-mountain bike (not enough energy for a non assisted one) and a game of golf every couple of weeks. Treatment for chronic Lymes is sparse and chronic Lymes is barely recognised. We paid an enormous amount of money to get hypothermic treatment in Germany - that destroyed the Lymes, but my son still has to deal with the coinfections and the mytochondrial damage.

All from a tick bite! Don't ignore the wee buggers!
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk