walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Waterproof Jacket

Waterproof Jacket

Postby goral85 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:58 am

Hi All,

This year like a typical hill walking newbie I bought myself a fancy waterproof jacket (Rab Muztag). I have to say that I love it's bomb-proofness however outside cold weather I really struggle in it due to heat build up. I have to admit that I am a warm walker so I hear that Paramo is no for me.

Any suggestions (brands/models/fabrics)? Anyone has experience with Gore Shake-dry? Don't mind garish colours and budget is not a problem.

Thank you in advance.
goral85
Mountain Walker

Munros:38   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:11   

Re: Waterproof Jacket

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:06 am

goral85 wrote:Anyone has experience with Gore Shake-dry? Don't mind garish colours and budget is not a problem.

Gore Shake-Dry is relatively new, but I'm hearing good things about it. The PacLite Goretex products might be worth looking at too, I've got a Mountain Equipment PacLite and is fine for 3 season use.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:195
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby teaandpies » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:19 pm

goral85 wrote:Hi All,

This year like a typical hill walking newbie I bought myself a fancy waterproof jacket (Rab Muztag). I have to say that I love it's bomb-proofness however outside cold weather I really struggle in it due to heat build up. I have to admit that I am a warm walker so I hear that Paramo is no for me.

Any suggestions (brands/models/fabrics)? Anyone has experience with Gore Shake-dry? Don't mind garish colours and budget is not a problem.

Thank you in advance.

As always, a question like this will bring different opinions based on people's personal experiences so you might get a lot of contradictory thoughts.

If you're going down the GTX route the Muztag is not a bad shout. It's a hybrid so has 2 different styles of GTX the important one being PRO. It's more durable than the other GTX styles so better for carrying more weight in your pack if you're using the jacket during winter.

I have a Paclite jacket and it's like wearing a bin liner, it's sweaty and pretty uncomfortable during those warm days when it rains. I've also been caught in a hail storm wearing it during the winter and boy did I feel every single stone through the jacket :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby davekeiller » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:33 pm

eVent and Goretex Paclite are likely to be less warm and sweaty. It's also worth looking for a jacket with ventilation options, such as zips under the armpits.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Manwaeadug » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:22 pm

davekeiller wrote:eVent and Goretex Paclite are likely to be less warm and sweaty. It's also worth looking for a jacket with ventilation options, such as zips under the armpits.

This.

I run warm as well and I've got a Berghaus Extrem jacket that has pit zips, they are great at venting and cooling me down.
Manwaeadug
Walker

Munros:1   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:4   
Walk wish-list

Postby nathan79 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:46 pm

Thank you in advance.

The crucial thing is to get your layering under the waterproof right. Makes a massive difference to comfort.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby goral85 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:56 am

nathan79 wrote:

Thank you in advance.

The crucial thing is to get your layering under the waterproof right. Makes a massive difference to comfort.

So like a breathable t-shirt/long sleeve? I use running t-shirts, does it make sense to invest in something fancy like Patagonia Capeline etc?
goral85
Mountain Walker

Postby davekeiller » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 am

When you say a running t-shirt do you mean cotton, or a technical baselayer?
Cotton tends to absorb sweat and stay wet, whilst technical fabrics will wick sweat away from you and keep you more comfortable.
No need for anything expensive, but you'll probably notice the difference if you switch away from cotton.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby goral85 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:59 am

davekeiller wrote:When you say a running t-shirt do you mean cotton, or a technical baselayer?
Cotton tends to absorb sweat and stay wet, whilst technical fabrics will wick sweat away from you and keep you more comfortable.
No need for anything expensive, but you'll probably notice the difference if you switch away from cotton.

I mean technical base-layers. Cotton is like wearing a nice soggy, heavy towel :lol: :shock:
goral85
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk