walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Grivel rucksacks

Grivel rucksacks

Postby weesmudge » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:05 pm

Looking at buying a new winter bag for Munro walking
The one I’m looking at is the alpine pro from grivel anyone on here got one and what’s your thoughts my other option is a osprey talon 44
Tia
Chris
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Munros:134   Corbetts:4

Re: Grivel rucksacks

Postby Alex W » Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:27 am

I have a Grivel Alpine Pro. Good bag. It lacks some of the things you might expect - in particular it has no side pockets and no rain cover. But it pretty much keeps the water out all by itself and it has a full length zip allowing you to get into the pack without undoing the hood. Loads of options to attach poles, ice axe, helmet and crampons.

I think it looks good to.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby shinenotburn » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:37 pm

Chris,

Just got an Osprey Mutant 38 for the exact same purpose. So far I'm very impressed: well thought out, well put together and not too complicated. Also choice of sizes.

I got it direct from Osprey with 40% off as a Mountaineering Scotland member and I think MS membership is half price at the moment.

Iain.
shinenotburn
Mountaineer

Munros:212   Corbetts:16
Fionas:7   Donalds:27
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:44 pm

I have the osprey Stratos 36 for day duties (got the 40% off too) I love osprey bags, so we'll thought out and really nice wee touches. Daughter has a lowe alpine bag, those have similar cool wee touches, worth a look.

Just ordered an Exos 58 for backpacking duties, quite a bit lighter than the Stratos 36, and top section can come off to go down to 50 litres. Wanted a bag that'll allow me to go some multi day camping trips.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby malrobb » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Just my tuppence worth but I own an Osprey Talon 44 and would not say that this is a winter bag, its much more a summer bag. It's a great bag but has lots of straps etc that get blown around a lot in the wind. I think the Osprey Mutant 38, mentioned above, would be a better option if you are going down the Osprey route.

FWIW i have a Lowe Alpine Ascejnt 40/50 and I really like it. It has a winter specific buckle which is easy to use with gloves, coupled with no less straps, ice axe attachments and its simplicity that make the biggest difference for a winter bag.

Good luck with your choices.
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:08 am

malrobb wrote:Just my tuppence worth but I own an Osprey Talon 44 and would not say that this is a winter bag, its much more a summer bag.

Weird I can get away with using the Talon 33 for winter, the 44 version will give you ample space for your winter kit and has an ice axe loop. Osprey packs can be a bit strappy though.

To throw another contender into the mix, I tested a Lowe Alpine AirZone Pro 35:45 pack recently, heavier, but a good solid pack that will withstand winter conditions.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Pointless Parasite » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:52 pm

I've got a Lowe Alpine Altus pack (https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/lowe-alpine-altus-nd-40-45-rucksack-E1314471.html?colour=98), which I really like. It's nowehere near as strange looking as the photo suggests and the large pocket on the front is extremely useful. It has a rain cover with multiple attachment points to stop it being blown off in the wind (it's the only raincover I've tried that actually works). The ice axe attachment is also sensibly positioned, unlike the one on the Talon 33, which is far too high up. The only downside is that it's quite heavy.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk