walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Trekmates Cairngorm Gore Tex Gaiter

Re: Trekmates Cairngorm Gore Tex Gaiter

Postby Will N To » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:50 pm

Really useful information. Much appreciated.
So silnylon will be shredded by heather. I think I understand this. There's a high altitude meadow in the (just north of Los Angeles) San Gabriel Range near Mt Islips, prettiest thing up there, looks as soft and cuddly as a teddy bear, from a distance: toughest stuff on the ridge.
I was going to try to stay away from webbing because of the weight. But sounds like it's needed.
I like the 'buckles inside the gaiters': to keep from catching the one on the other leg and snagging the tough heather. Maybe inside a panel of some sort. The Berghaus gaiters look really good.
I have to avoid the velcro because I'm going for full waterproof. So taking off boots to put on the gaiters will be necessary. No crampons this trip, but I've been in those sharp craggy aretes in Japan. Shale mostly I think. (Google daikiretto for a bit of a yikes! there's a guy hanging on wearing cotton gloves.
Maybe I'll buy a pair of inexpensive uppers to get the heavy fabric (I don't have any on hand unless I cannibalize something) remove or stitch the velcro add a water proof layer or silicone sealing as needed.
My neoprene 'spats' (up past the ankles) turned out pretty good. Yesterday, after worrying the pattern, I finally decided: close enough, cut one out, glued it, stitched it. Neoprene is great material to work with. It almost looks like I know what I'm doing. So far the full seal looks really promising. There's a wide area of contact with the boot so it might be possible to get a good seal. The sides are long and flatter, but there're ways to work this too.
Thank you for the valuable information.
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby Will N To » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:49 am

Because I'm running out of time and I can't figure out all the fabric types...and Silnylon won't survive. (I received my delivery and cranked out an improved pair of mitten covers. They seem good, but this silnylon seems even thinner than the tarps I have) So I decided to canabalize a pair of OR Crocodiles.
They're pretty nice as gaiters go. They get good ratings from all sources, and the straps on these I'm pretty sure are the same straps they use on their OR Expedition Gaiters and they seem pretty solid. So they should hold up.
I bought a pair of Large (I'm 5'8", 175 lbs, 9.5 shoe size, good looking...) but golly these are tight in the calves. Not fitted tight, just tight. I've got good sized calves, but I'm sure a lot of trekkers, climbers, hikers and stompers and anyone else needing gaiter also have good sized calves.
So for conventional gaiters: these seem pretty good. So if you gotta buy them, these should do well
As raw material... I just wish I could get the silly two inch wide strip of velcro off so I can use it for something else.
As I fiddle with these, it just makes no sense that they go through all the trouble and added weight just so you don't have to take off your boots.
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby Ben Nachie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:18 am

Some people, myself included, like to only wear gaiters where necessary, so the big velcro strip is great for ease of putting on/taking off.

But yes, gaiters are one of those items that are rarely designed with weight as a major consideration. Probably because robustness is considered a higher priority.

If you plan to walk primarily on paths during your visit you might get away with your silnilon idea for the duration of your trip. Or you might not. Only one way to find out!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Will N To » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:35 pm

With all the effort and worrying I'm putting into gaiters, I'll be like the kid who leaps and stomps every puddle in sight.
So I'm looking at my new pair of OR Crocs and then I'm looking at the roll of boat cover material and think, they're kind of similar.... So now my leg parts are this material and the OR Crocs probably won't get to go to Scotland.
But the 'spats' on top of my boots to about ankle level are neoprene 4 or 5mm. How low is that scraggly heather? The rocks...I think the neoprene will be okay. At worst a tear and duct tape. But constant stiff brush?
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby Ben Nachie » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:51 pm

Heather can be knee high, at which point it becomes very tiring to walk through. More typically it is about 6"-12" high. Some hills have a lot more of it than others.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby mrssanta » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:46 am

I've got a pair of Rab gaiters which are not made any more. they are short, no zips, you put them on before your boots, they are held in place by a string of shock cord tied into eyelets either side of the foot, which is considered replaceable (it wears out eventually) and are made of lightweight event fabric, i don't think it is much heavier than sil-nylon but I am not sure. It has a reinforcing patch on the inner side. I can't find a picture online as they are discontinued but if I can get a photo it might help. I love them and have worn them for a couple of years at least.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk