walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

1000 mile socks

1000 mile socks

Postby jacob » Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:58 pm

Although it seems like decades ago, it has only been a year + something I was in Scotland. In the little supermarket in Kinlochewe I bought some 1000 mile socks 3 seasons, after Alterknacker advised them here in the online world.

I fell in love immediately and thought I'd never buy any other socks ever again. But,...... In the NL, on mainland Europe, they're only for sale via the "Dutch Amazon" bol.com, at least as far as I know.

So I bought a pair, I think above UK prices, and got them delivered today. However, the socks I bought in Kinlochewe had this white polyamide (?) inner layer which I thought was the unmistakenable 1000 mile socks effect. The socks that got delivered today had nothing of this kind, and were more standard 3 season hiking socks with terrycloth on the inside.

Has anyone any information on how I can recognize the special inner layer from standard hiking socks, just by name or outer looks?

Many thanks in advance
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Re: 1000 mile socks

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:11 pm

You can order directly from the 1000 mile sock website and I've had to contact them in the past and they are very helpful and respond quickly, so you can ask them directly for advice as they do have a very large range.

https://www.1000mile.co.uk

They also have a Dutch distributor so you might be able to order directly from them.

www.konabenelux.nl
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Driftwood » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:16 pm

Just adding to Marty's post (since I was slightly slow looking).
I'm thinking that you would need those described as double layer, e.g. some but not all shown on https://www.1000mile.co.uk/collections/1000-mile-walking-socks - and where the list of materials includes Tactel (which is used for the inner layer).
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:57 am

The Wrong Trousers.jpg
If only they did hiking trousers too...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby jacob » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:50 pm

Thanks all 3 for replying.
@MartyJG: I seem to remember 1000 mile doesn't deliver abroad, but I might be wrong. I'll give it a good second check. And the Dutch website seems a bit odd: it doesn't show products, it only promotes itself for personalising sportswear with prints and what have you.
@Driftwood: I hadn't noticed the mentioned double layer before on 1000M website before. If ordering abroad isn't possible I could at least compare socks from the original website and the "dutch amazon-like clone", the latter of which doesn't specify the double layers.
@Caberfeidh: And undies, while we're at it.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk