walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

flapping soles

flapping soles

Postby walkingpoles » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:48 pm

In contrast to leather, Vibram soles have a shorter life expectancy. I have anecdotal evidence of soles that became loose and saw some more. I assumed it had to do with the ageing of the glue (also because the sole itself was intact and the part that was sown to the boot was still OK), but according to the Internet, Hydrolysis is the culprit and it's the sole itself that is not happy anymore.

In both cases where they were my boots, the soles of both boots started flapping during the same hike. It's like they were talking to each other :D . But I was I was under the impression that keeping shoes in a basement for years (instead of using them) and cold weather were two important factors. I found this intriguing and asked the internet for help. However, hydrolysis should occur anyway, whether you use the boots or not, and the soles should get loose in any weather, so maybe these two factors had nothing to do with it.

Does somebody here know whether my sample is off or is there something to it? Problems with the glue or hydrolysis?

Thanks
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Re: flapping soles

Postby prog99 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:13 pm

Sorry, never ever seen this before. And i've been through multiple pairs of hill footwear.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Tringa » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:37 am

How old are your boots? Only had this happen once. Many years ago just after starting down from Sgurr a Bhuic the sole of one of my boots went flappy, but the boots were fairly old.

Dave
Tringa

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:06 am

I inherited one pair from my late grandfather, a couple of years after he died. I guess that the boots were maybe 15 years old, unused for at least 10 years and appearingly in very good condition. Storage was basically in a spare living room on a mat (not in a cupboard), at room temperature and without direct sunlight. Perfect fit, also felt great to walk in the footsteps of my grandfather. Climbed 3 munros on three weekends without any issues, both soles started flapping at first encounter with snow the week after. (Bonus was a free dram of Whisky in the pub in Crianlarich after the hike, due to the boots).

The other pair (trekking boots) spent some years unused at my parents place and the sole came loose quite immediately after putting them on.

I've seen it happen three times in mountain cabins in the Alps. In one case it happened at the moment when the person walked a couple of steps on the glacier. Once it happened to both boots of my hiking partner (but before the snow line). She used them only about once or twice a year, preferring her other hiking boots for the non-glacier outings. The boots were maybe between 5 and 10 years old. She had them resoled after the incident, the boots apparently being still in good conditions otherwise.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Postby stinker » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:52 am

There's an interesting article from Hanwag here which might be worth reading

https://blog.hanwag.de/en/hydrolyse-der-zwischensohle/
stinker
Walker

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:25 pm

stinker wrote:There's an interesting article from Hanwag here which might be worth reading

https://blog.hanwag.de/en/hydrolyse-der-zwischensohle/

Very nice, thanks! If I had known that, I'd have given the shoes for resoling. I thought that shoes that lose the soles are not in a state to be repaired, for fear that something else might break on the next hike. Good to know that hydrolysis only affects the sole and not the rest of the shoe.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:49 pm

This is taken from Asolo Boots website

There are significant differences in when hydrolysis sets; at the moment, we estimate that it starts around six to seven years after a midsole is manufactured. It’s worth considering that the manufacturing date of your sole might well be some time before the purchase date when you bought your boots. In addition, supply time for the sole, storage of the sole and manufacturing at Asolo plus delivery to retailers and further storage can all add up. When you buy a pair of Asolo boots in a shop, they could have been on the shelf for a few months. If you snap up a pair of last year’s model during sales, then the boots might even have been standing in the store for couple of years. Keep this is mind when you try to work out how old your boots are.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby madprof » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:28 pm

Years back I had a boot with a Vibram sole that came loose. I was doing a loop from Great Langdale over Pike of Blisco, Crinkle Crags and Bow Fell. Just as I got the point furthest away from the campsite I stood in a bog, lifted my boot the sole just went "schloop" and half of it flapped all the way back to the campsite.Catastrophic failure.

The next day I got the bus to Ambleside, walked into a shop and said "sell me your toughest boots".

This was July. The guy sold me Scarpa Mantas. I bought them. Gave me massive blisters and some old ladies lauged at me for having eating chips wearing them in July. Last laugh is mine because I still use them on every winter hill. And I still eat chips.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk