walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Scrambling Boots and shoes

Scrambling Boots and shoes

Postby satkins » Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi there,
At the moment I have Meindl Vakuum GTX boots and I am very happy with them. However COVID allowing I plan to do a lot more scrambling next year and these boots are quite robust ideal for long treks, but not for super grippy feeling the rock on scrambling routes. Would love to know people's recommendations for an approach boot/shoe, light, comfortable, for scrambling that are tough and can handle the Cuillins for instance.
Cheers.
satkins
Scrambler

Munros:15   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:69   

Re: Scrambling Boots and shoes

Postby Skyelines » Sun Oct 18, 2020 2:40 pm

I'm not familiar with those boots but looked them up on the net.

They look fine to me for scrambling. Did Tower Ridge and Heatwave (V. Diff.) on the Poll Dubh crags in something very similar one summer some long years ago.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Backpacker » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:17 pm

I recently did 3 days in the Cuillins wearing Salewa Mountain Trainers, no issues despite them having not much in the way of tread remaining (they’re coming up for 4 years old and heavy use)
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby gman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:01 pm

I've used Scarpa Crux shoes on the Cuillin and Tower Ridge with no problems, I would use trail shoes on anything easier. I sized the Scarpas to be snug rather than comfy so my feet don't slide around inside the shoe.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:09 pm

I did the Cuillin and Aonach Eagach in Meindl Vakuums and they did fine. Dry conditions, though. My experience of those boots is that the soles wore down rapidly - think I got a year out of them, though that did include 100 munros or so.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby satkins » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:33 pm

One again, thanks again for everyones opinions, will look out for the Scarpa Crux shoes.
satkins
Scrambler

Munros:15   
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:69   

Postby prog99 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:49 pm

You don’t need anything special unless you’ve been reading too many magazine articles?
Unless on the cuillin , I use old skanky footwear as the gabro destroys it.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 pm

prog99 wrote:You don’t need anything special unless you’ve been reading too many magazine articles?

Not sure I agree with that. I've used various approach shoes, trail shoes, walking boots, winter boots and can certainly notice the difference a good grip makes. If serious about scrambling, I would say that a good grippy pair of approach shoes can add a lot to your confidence and security. They're not perfect- they are not, generally, waterproof, some can be a bit sore to walk in over a long distance (An Teallach, for example), some are not particularly robust.

I've had a pair of La Sportiva TX4 for about 4 years now and they still have plenty life left. The grip is superb - maybe not quite as good as it's predecessor the Boulder X or Guide Tennie's - but considerably more comfortable than either of those and much tougher - probably due to the all-around rand (which also helps keep feet dry).
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby gman » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:01 am

satkins wrote:One again, thanks again for everyones opinions, will look out for the Scarpa Crux shoes.

Worth mentioning that I bought them on sale and they're a bit pricey, cheaper alternatives are available! Also, when you move up the climbing grades you'll be able to scramble in sandals but I was glad to have grippy approach shoes when I was struggling on my first Grade 3 :lol:
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby maremalin » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:36 pm

I prefer boots rather than approach shoes for scrambling. Its personal choice as I like a bit of ankle support.
I've used Mammut Ayako for last few years and love it.
maremalin

Munros:41   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:3   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:28 pm

From personal experience, I'd avoid approach/trail shoes for mountains, including scrambling. Clue is in the name, the grip on the soles are usually not good enough.

Go for a trail runner if you go down the shoes road, the soles are more aggressive and grip far better.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby prog99 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:07 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:From personal experience, I'd avoid approach/trail shoes for mountains, including scrambling. Clue is in the name, the grip on the soles are usually not good enough.

Go for a trail runner if you go down the shoes road, the soles are more aggressive and grip far better.

I find trail running shoes a tad exciting scrambling due to the knobby soles not providing a positive enough edge.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Gythral » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:50 pm

prog99 wrote:You don’t need anything special unless you’ve been reading too many magazine articles?

This I would agree with, having done scrambles in anything from approach shoes to B3 boots (and even a few (lowi grade) rock climbs in B2 or B3 boots)

Reallty comes down to what you are comfortable with!
Gythral

Munros:19   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk