walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

West Highland Way Gear

Re: West Highland Way Gear

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:22 pm

rgf101 wrote:You're going to want to have a spare lighter anyway in case the igniter gives up the ghost. Or I would, at least.

The mini-bic is well regarded and reliable. Personally I take one plus an ultralight fire-steel just in case the lighter has some kind of mechanical/flint/fuel failure.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby MaximusGreatest » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:35 am

This essential West Highland Way packing list covers everything you need for hiking. Tryt this! www
two scots abroad dot com slash west-highland-way-packing-list
MaximusGreatest

Postby Spade » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:20 pm

Buy Smidge, Use Travel light luggage transfer and stay in the many bunk houses. That way you'll really get the most out of the walk and not regret your carrying your bed and breakfast or be a midges breakfast, dinner and tea.
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby Cooganss » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:29 pm

Spade wrote:Buy Smidge, Use Travel light luggage transfer and stay in the many bunk houses. That way you'll really get the most out of the walk and not regret your carrying your bed and breakfast or be a midges breakfast, dinner and tea.

For me and the rest of the people I plan do do this trip with carrying our gear and wild camping is one of the main parts of doing this. I get it that not all people would like this but for us it’s the only way.
Cooganss
Munro compleatist

Munros:79   Corbetts:7
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:48 am

Cooganss wrote:
Spade wrote:Buy Smidge, Use Travel light luggage transfer and stay in the many bunk houses. That way you'll really get the most out of the walk and not regret your carrying your bed and breakfast or be a midges breakfast, dinner and tea.

For me and the rest of the people I plan do do this trip with carrying our gear and wild camping is one of the main parts of doing this. I get it that not all people would like this but for us it’s the only way.

Me too, otherwise you might as well drive it and stay in hotels. Checking your boots for wayward frogs in the morning is all part of it; wind and rain too. Disasters are all part of the entertainment. I love the smell of wet socks in the morning... :shock:

tentcowr.jpg
Tent Cow related disaster
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Spade » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:14 pm

Cooganss wrote:

Appreciate this, just a wee suggestion of an alternative way to do the walk, I've done it a number of times using both methods, both equally as enjoyable. . All the best and have a great week :) Either way, defo buy the smidge!! The wee nasties don't care how your doing it!!
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk