walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

blisters & new boots needed?

Re: blisters & new boots needed?

Postby prog99 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:27 pm

Low Level Walker wrote:
prog99 wrote:No mentions of zinc oxide tape yet? Tape up your hotspots preemptively. But do make sure you use a good quality tape.

Yeah I overlooked that one. It has been something that has been on my radar also. I have seen it on some sites, but seems a bit pricey?

Have you used it yourself? Would you recommend it and if so do you know a good vendor to purchase from?

I use it a lot. Will get back to you on a suitable variety. We've a but of a stash from various sources.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:04 am

Low Level Walker wrote:
Marty_JG wrote:How come the tape didn't work? You use enough of it you basically wrap your foot, or at least all hotspots, in armour.

Basically it never stayed in place. Difficult to place over end of toes also, but mainly I just found it did not stay in place.

Well, I was thinking micro-porous tape was some kind of synonym for Leuktoape / Zinc Oxide / hypoallergenic versions.

Pricey.? £5 should last you about ten lifetimes.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0056PS998

Like Gandalf, IT. WILL. NOT. YIELD.

Never stay in place? LOL you'll wish WISH it was that easy to get rid of.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby davekeiller » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:23 am

Zinc oxide tape is generally pretty cheap and usually works well. However, it doesn't always work on toes because of the geometry - I used to have a pair of boots where the lining had a seam directly above my toes and it used to rub regardless of what I did. Tape just used to come off no matter how hard I tried with it.
Micropore tape is similar stuff. Basically, zinc oxide tape is fabric tape impregnated with zinc oxide, whilst micropore is more like paper tape.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:34 am

Low Level Walker wrote:This is also a forum post I have been watching with interest. I would be delighted to see if anyone can come up with a definitive solution.

One of my problems (I have many lol) is that my second toe is longer than my big toe. I know this is quite common with guys, so a lot of my blister issues are with them forming at end of toes (but I also get them in other areas). I have lost countless toenails as a result of this, sorry not a pleasant image I know.

If your toes are getting blisters on the end, they must be rubbing against the boot. Either your foot is moving forwards inside the boot, and as you mention trying different lacings I'd guess not, or it sounds to me as if the boots may be too short for you? My toes never touch the end of any boots, there is clear wriggle room. My foot is gripped snugly but not too tightly over the top of the instep and a bit more tightly around the highest lace holes, as I have quite skinny ankles/heels so they tend to try to move if not tight.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Low Level Walker » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:55 am

Thanks to all for responses and insight on this.

@ Marty_JG, I purchased that tape from Amazon. I have to say it appears completely different from stuff I bought from chemist. It certainly seems more robust, so I will be keen to trial it out when opportunity arises.

@ Mal Grey. I would say that my boots feel comfortable and I certainly feel there is room for toe movement (so to speak). As I said before, it is more that my second toe is longer than big toe (not sure if I can say considerably longer or not) and it is mainly this toe that bears the brunt of my blister problems/issues. Thanks for feedback and insight though, all appreciated.

Hopefully the new tape purchased can alleviate some of my issues. :D :D
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:48 pm

I am also a firm believer in strong tape. The one that sticks to your feet, even if they are wet, and which you only take off when back home in the shower or three days later.

I also have the impression that walking poles help. Maybe rather in helping to endure blisters than in preventing them, though. When reading your post I understood that your feet reach a breaking point after 6 hours or so. It's possible that poles push that breaking point to 8 hours, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

In my experience I get the worst blisters at the end of hikes when walking with stiff soles on tarmac or proper roads. Intentionally slowing down on tarmac has helped with that.

Good luck in finding a solution! And keep us posted if something works.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Low Level Walker » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:12 pm

walkingpoles wrote:I am also a firm believer in strong tape. The one that sticks to your feet, even if they are wet, and which you only take off when back home in the shower or three days later.

I also have the impression that walking poles help. Maybe rather in helping to endure blisters than in preventing them, though. When reading your post I understood that your feet reach a breaking point after 6 hours or so. It's possible that poles push that breaking point to 8 hours, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

In my experience I get the worst blisters at the end of hikes when walking with stiff soles on tarmac or proper roads. Intentionally slowing down on tarmac has helped with that.

Good luck in finding a solution! And keep us posted if something works.

Thanks for your comments Walking Poles.

I am hopeful the tape (as recommended by Marty_JG) will work. I am quite keen and eager to try it out now. Walking poles is something lately that I have started to use a bit more. I have found them beneficial and will continue to use them.

I shall post again when I try tape out after a 10-15 mile walk or so.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:07 pm

Read some of the foot-care pages from the US ultrahiker types they'll go through tricks & tips for tape use.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby Alex W » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:56 pm

I have odd shaped feet and like the poster above my second toe is longer than the "big" toe, in fact my third toe is bigger than the "big" toe. Any shoes and even boots I try on, the assistant always tries to check length by pressing the "big" toe and I have to be careful to ensure my second toe is taken into account - I've lost count of the number of shoes and boots which turn out to be too short.

But my main problem has always been blisters. I learned to just put up with blisters and buy industrial quantities of Compeed. But a companion on a long distance walk introduced me to wearing a pair of thin liner socks and then an outer pair of walking socks. I've not had a blister since. I now have thin Bridgedale liners on every trip. If it's a multi day trip then I indulge in a fresh pair of liners every day - the outers can do more than one day!

I have an almost done pair of boots which I gave an outing to last weekend - a sort of swan song. I was a bit shocked that the balls of my feet started to get hotspots - a sure sign of blisters on the way. I walked for four hours and no damage was done, but 6 hours or more and they would have rubbed. I wonder if it is the soles losing cushioning. So if the problem the OP has is with an older pair of boots, maybe the cushioning is just done and the boots need to be replaced. It is a bit odd it has just started happening after over a year of good service.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby AdamR » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:28 am

prog99 wrote:No mentions of zinc oxide tape yet? Tape up your hotspots preemptively. But do make sure you use a good quality tape.

Ive been out for 2 long walks this year, Both with my hot spots taped up with zinc oxide tape. The tape works great, no blisters & my feet were saturated on one occasion (poor choice of kit in knee deep snow).

Thanks for the advice on this, I'd never heard of the tape until your post
AdamR
Hill Bagger

Munros:97   Corbetts:5

Postby SteveeMac » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:35 pm

I too played football in my earlier days mate and learned back then the beauty of a thinner tighter pair of socks under the football sock stops the blisters.
I was just wondering if you're using trekking poles during your longer hikes? If not could they help relieve some foot pressure and change your walking posture slightly as you adapt to them? Maybe maybe not I'm no expert but hope you find a cure 😉
SteveeMac
Mountaineer

Munros:50   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   
Walk wish-list

Postby AdamR » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:27 pm

SteveeMac wrote:I too played football in my earlier days mate and learned back then the beauty of a thinner tighter pair of socks under the football sock stops the blisters.
I was just wondering if you're using trekking poles during your longer hikes? If not could they help relieve some foot pressure and change your walking posture slightly as you adapt to them? Maybe maybe not I'm no expert but hope you find a cure 😉

Hi Steve,

Yes I use trekking poles. I have done for 18 months, they've been great for helping my knees on descents. I would always be in agony the next day before I started using them. They're a nuisance on flat terrain though.
AdamR
Hill Bagger

Postby Marty_JG » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:01 pm

You can always put them away on flat terrain, or get into the "Nordic Power Walk".
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby teaandpies » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:34 pm

Any update on the blister situation?
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby AdamR » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:44 am

teaandpies wrote:Any update on the blister situation?

Yes, blisters have gone. I use Sport tape on the afffected areas & then apply kinesiology tape over the top by wrapping my ankle / heel & ball of foot. The K tape has a really strong adhesive so even when my feet have got wet the tape has stayed in place.

I wish I'd known about these products years ago.
AdamR
Hill Bagger

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk