walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Smartwatch

Re: Smartwatch

Postby Cooganss » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:44 pm

maremalin wrote:One thing I don't like about Garmin is rather complex software. This applies to both watch and apps.
Watch talks via Bluetooth to Garmin Connect app - but this application is very limited and not a lot can be done there.
To upload gpx or change maps (if you ever need to) you have to connect the watch to the computer and use basecamp software (free) . Basecamp is strange and it looks and feels like the development of it stopped at least two decades ago. Once you get going its fine - but figuring out how to start is challenging. Well, at least I found it challenging.
In a nutshell, I don't think there is a way to upload GPX without a computer (via USB)

You 100% can upload .gpx files to watch wirelessly and without pc by using IPhone.
1 - Download and .GPX file (I use walk highlands ones) to your iPhone

2 - open “files” and click and hold on correct file, select share and share to garmin connect

3 - save file (edit if needed)

4 - top right on garmin connect app while looking at course and click “share do device” and select your fenix 6.

5 - refresh and then when in activity select your course and enjoy :)
Cooganss
Munro compleatist

Munros:79   Corbetts:7
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3

Postby maremalin » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:30 pm

Cooganss wrote:You 100% can upload .gpx files to watch wirelessly and without pc by using IPhone.

Thank you!
Now I like my watch even more than before!

Having looked into it more I found Garmin Explore app. You can plot routes on your phone and sync with the watch via BT.
maremalin

Munros:41   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:3   

Postby wildgoose1uk » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:17 pm

Well I settled on the Garmin in the end. Found a decent deal so ordered it.... it's a great watch... does everything I could want it to do.....

........EXCEPT....... fix my eyesight. I just can't see the detail on the screen without putting my glasses on.

.....Just sent it back....

Guess I'm sticking to phone with a powerpack (plus map & compass of course!)

Kinda fed up!!
wildgoose1uk
Wanderer

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Well if you need a larger screen Garmin have dedicated units like the touch eTrex models or the Oregon.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Holly » Sun Dec 13, 2020 2:00 am

The Fitbit Versa and Sense, both waterproof have a facility to increase text and info on the watch so you can read it as a usual watch. You use your phone linked with it to use ViewRanger. The sense as I was saying before has an independent GPS. I wear glasses and its the bane of my life. I can at least see what I am doing with viewranger on my phone and the face on the Fitbit is readable without glasses. And as said, battery lasts 5 days. Worth a look.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk