walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Dryboot

Dryboot

Postby Tringa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:39 pm

Does anyone have any experience of these -

https://thedrybootcompany.com/product/harris-dry-boot/

I want them more for more general walking(eg walking with the dog) rather than hills.

Being rubber they shouldn't suffer from leaking, which it seems to happen eventually to most of the trainers I use for dog walking.

Thanks

Dave
Tringa

Re: Dryboot

Postby Mal Grey » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:50 pm

I used to sell these, or something almost identical, over 30 years ago in the YHA shop in Nottingham. Never tried them out though.

My memory is that they seemed OK as a dog walking, gardening, general pottering about boot, but lacked the structure of a proper walking boot (a bit bendy). They also had a very soft, and fairly shallow, tread pattern which doesn't look to have changed at all. It looked OK grip-wise, but felt like it wouldn't last long on harder surfaces.

If they're for general dog walking on softer terrains, especially wet environments and muddy stuff, they might work well. For hillwalking I don't think they'd have the support, or the sole last. I also assume they're horrible in warm weather, but have no evidence for that from actual experience, other than the fact they're completely non-breathable and have a thickish lining.

The main reason we stocked them was that they weren't leather, but none of us liked advising people to go hillwalking in them.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Tringa » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:08 am

Thanks Mal.

Although they have a steel shank in the sole I too wondered if they would be any good for anything other than easy terrain, although I'm not too bothered if they are not suitable for hills. I also wondered about the sweatiness.

Cheers

Dave
Tringa

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:39 pm

AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Tringa » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 am

Thanks AA.

Dave
Tringa

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk