walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Double pegging / back staking

Double pegging / back staking

Postby westonfront » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:10 pm

The cheap, easy, low tech solution to getting more hold for your guys in strong winds or easing the pitch of your tent if you are pitching solo in the wind. It seems to be a technique used many years ago but forgotten by folks today, including myself until my memory was prompted by an Antarctic Survey veteran.

Search westonfront / wordpress / double pegging for more background
westonfront
Mountain Walker

Re: Double pegging / back staking

Postby Mal Grey » Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:41 pm

I do this sometimes, especially with tarp set ups, which are prone to becoming sail set ups when the wind changes. I carry a couple of (titanium) longer Y-pegs which work well as the innermost peg, as you still get lots in the ground whilst being able to keep the right sort of angle to the second peg.

To be honest, more often I just stick two pegs in the same loop at different angles, the lazy, less effective, method!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby matt_outandabout » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:43 pm

So much campcraft is a dwindling art...

As well as double pegging, hoofing big rock on the line side of the peg works well.

I also tend to have a few metres of 2mm kevlar line with me at the bottom of first aid kit - can be used for bootlaces and extra guys as needed. And it has been needed.

After choosing a better site.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:27 pm

Moar Tipz?

• Double-guy. Loop-in a second guy and take the two out in a slight V shape.
  • The longer the guy the better so if replacing guys don't hesitate to go longer rather than shorter.
  • Lawson Equipment do amazing guys, standard and high-viz. Hilleberg do the same quality but £££££ more.
  • Delta Ground Anchors are big but very effective in marshy and muddy ground. (Does Scotland have that?)
  • Anyone who says "guy line", "guy wire", "guy rope", etc., should stop that right now, there's lovely! :thumbup:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby matt_outandabout » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:20 pm

Moar Tipz?

Of course... :clap:
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Postby westonfront » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:14 pm

That made my smile Marty. I've seen those Delta pegs and pondered them for a coastal walk I have in mind. On said walk it's likely that I'll need to wild camp because I want to get out as soon as it's legal and that's likely to come before the campsites are allowed (or choose) to open. Looking at my route it's likely I'll need to spend more than one night pitched on a beach.

I came across alternative slightly smaller 'Delta Anchors' made by a one man operation in Cornwall after a shout out from a popular Scottish YouTuber.

https://www.facebook.com/titangroundanchor
westonfront
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk