walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Recommendation required - women's trousers

Recommendation required - women's trousers

Postby super_dan_pars » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:00 am

Morning all,

Posting on behalf of my wife, she's looking for recommendations for walking trousers.

Height-wise she comes under the petite category, however she has proper 'womens hips', so to speak. It appears that anything 'petite' means small in height as well as width, while anything with enough room for hips is 'normal' length, ie. too long.

Is she doomed to turn-ups, or is there a brand out there that can sort her out? (She runs cold also, so anything thermal would be a bonus).

Cheers, Dan.
super_dan_pars
Mountaineer

Re: Recommendation required - women's trousers

Postby Kendrum » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:19 pm

I'm 5ft 4 and these are a perfect length for me.
They have the sizing on there so hopefully your wife can check if the sizing suits her.
They're wind proof and a fleecy lining. They're brilliant for me in the current conditions. I've mainly been using them for cycling at the moment and my thighs aren't stinging red when I get home.

And they're in the sale. But limited sizes at moment.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16045832/dare-2b-women-s-slender-pants-16045832
Kendrum

Munros:41   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Kendrum » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:36 pm

Thinking about it a bit more. I like Craghopper. They have different leg lengths. One of the few brands I've noticed that do this.

I also wondered if thick leggings might allow stretch on the hips if she was comfortable wearing legging which she might not be. I was impressed by the thickness of these leggings when I saw them in the shop before Christmas when we were allowed in such places. I wasn't impressed with the price at the time though so didn't get them but see they are in the sale now 😃

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15899245/rab-women-s-power-stretch-pro-pants-15899245
Kendrum

Munros:41   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby super_dan_pars » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:00 pm

Thanks Kendrum, much appreciated.

She wears leggings at the moment, but thin ones. Thicker ones may be the answer...

Dan.

Kendrum wrote:Thinking about it a bit more. I like Craghopper. They have different leg lengths. One of the few brands I've noticed that do this.

I also wondered if thick leggings might allow stretch on the hips if she was comfortable wearing legging which she might not be. I was impressed by the thickness of these leggings when I saw them in the shop before Christmas when we were allowed in such places. I wasn't impressed with the price at the time though so didn't get them but see they are in the sale now 😃

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15899245/rab-women-s-power-stretch-pro-pants-15899245
super_dan_pars
Mountaineer

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:23 pm

If it's cold but not gonna be wet, my good lady will wear thicker leggings, she also has a cracking pair of thermal trousers from Decathlon, they're brilliant, I think these are this years equivalent.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/sh900-women-s-warm-black-snow-hiking-trousers/_/R-p-176659
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby matt_outandabout » Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:41 pm

My wife hates the Craghoppers trousers in cut and fabric - she has tried a few pairs.

She is 5' but not so wide of hip / size 8-10.

Winter trousers - she loves her Rab VR trousers
Summer - Berghaus (different leg length) are nicely judged, and we've two pairs of summer weight trousers in xs/short.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby super_dan_pars » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:21 am

Cheers folks. She got a new Rab coat for this winter and absolutely loves it, so the Rab trouser recommendation has grabbed her attention!

Dan.
super_dan_pars
Mountaineer

Postby Spade » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:04 pm

I got my Wife some ROHAN stretch bags and a pair of striders. We both use Rohan and find it to be fantastic.
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

Postby Jetset » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:44 pm

I highly recommend Acai Active Wear - they are showerproof, flexible and fit really well. Skinny fit but stretchy fabric - great for wearing under waterproof over pants if the weather takes a turn. They do fleece lined and I’ve had to buy a second pair because they are so comfortable and warm.
Jetset
Walker

Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Hewitts:5

Postby Fiona Reid » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:01 pm

Rab do various women's models in short leg lengths. I'm 5ft 2, 29inch inside leg and have a pretty powerful build. Rab Vector work well. Cosy enough for winter unless it's really nippy and fine for much of the rest of the year.

Mountain Equipment and Berghaus are also worth a look as they also do different leg lengths
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk