walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Mat/Sleeping Bag Combo

Mat/Sleeping Bag Combo

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:59 am

Hi folks,

In the market for a new sleeping mat and bag. Historically I've just used OEX type stuff as I'm not a huge fan of camping but want to start doing more overnighters once we're all out and about more.

I'm probably looking at 100-150 each for the mat and bag. Am I better spending more on a mat and less on a bag or the same on both?

Any recommendations? Should 3 season bags do for late April/May into September/October?

Matwise I'm looking at Exped Synmat but there are tons of variants so I've no idea what is good and bad.

For bags I had been looking at Deuter Exosphere -6 vs Rab Ascent 500. Same temperature ratings - 0/-6 - the Deuter weighs more but packs smaller and is synthetic (would rather get synthetic if I can get one that packs small) so was swaying towards that.

Cheers
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Mat/Sleeping Bag Combo

Postby Tallbloke » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:27 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:Hi folks,

I'm probably looking at 100-150 each for the mat and bag. Am I better spending more on a mat and less on a bag or the same on both?

Any recommendations? Should 3 season bags do for late April/May into September/October?

Matwise I'm looking at Exped Synmat but there are tons of variants so I've no idea what is good and bad.

For bags I had been looking at Deuter Exosphere -6 vs Rab Ascent 500. Same temperature ratings - 0/-6 - the Deuter weighs more but packs smaller and is synthetic (would rather get synthetic if I can get one that packs small) so was swaying towards that.

Cheers

Hi Iain. The answer is, it depends.
Are these overnighters carrying the kit on the march and camping high or daywalking from a base camp? If you'll be carrying the kit on the hills, then weight and bulk becomes an issue. A synthetic bag in your budget warm enough for April high camps will weigh at least 1.5kg and will need a bigger rucksack which will also weigh a bit more.

Good lightweight insulated inflatable mats are expensive, and vulnerable if camping in the rough. I use cheap uninsulated Chinese inflatable mats with a 10mm CCF foam pad underneath on the rough, or on top if there's no chance of a puncture. That way, if I do get a puncture, the CCF pad acts as emergency backup.

Cheap pad of AliExpress £18. Buy two of the type that have plastic poppers on the sides and fasten them together for base camp luxury.
Foam pad of decent quality £20
Sleeping bag budget now looks much better for keeping that weight and bulk down for the warmth you need.
Tallbloke
Backpacker

Hewitts:173
Wainwrights:120   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:37 pm

Aye, forgot to mention I probably won't be doing summit camps. More along the lines of walk into Fisherfield from Poolewe, camp at Camban and do hills without the gear in my bag.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:22 pm

For three season nights any quality Chinese inflatable will do, e.g. Trekology. If you want to spend slightly more for an insulated mat, handy at the edges of the 3 seasons, then Klymit have an insulated one for under £75

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Klymit-Insulated-Static-Sleeping-Orange/dp/B07YP8XY78

Equally important is a pillow, the Trekology Aluft 2.0 is an inflatable pillow that bungees around your mat so it doesn't ping out from behind your head the moment you close your eyes. (The 2.0 mode is important, the 1.0 doesn't have the bungee).

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Trekology-Ultralight-Inflatable-Camping-Travel/dp/B07MG5YCHJ

Bags there are many more people here who can advise. Synth can be handy if you can't manage moisture, but I'd be wary about some super-warm tiny-pack syth bag... if it really was the case we'd all be using it. It might be it packs small enough for you, but down will always be a lot smaller for the same warmth.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk