walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Import Duties

Import Duties

Postby malrobb » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:11 pm

HI All,

I was looking at getting a sleeping bag from this Polish Company(https://cumulus.equipment/uk_en/down-sleeping-bag-teneqa-850.html) as I have seen them recommended before. Now that we are out of the EU it mentions Import Duties: This price includes all obligatory taxes. Please note that customers from outside the European Union are responsible for covering possible local import duties, taxes and other fees which will be due at the time of delivery.

Does anyone know how much this might be as a percentage of the purchase price?

Thanks

Mal
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Re: Import Duties

Postby jmarkb » Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:05 pm

It's not clear from the website, but you may have to pay VAT at 20% if that's not already been added, and, since it is over the £135 limit, another 2% import duty: https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/9404300000
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:20 pm

Yes, I believe that's correct. 2% import duty, then 20% VAT on top. There will also be a handling charge from your courier in all likelihood. I'd be allowing 25% in total to make sure I'm covered, but it shouldn't go as high as that, the handling charge should be small, just a few quid.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby malrobb » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:40 pm

Thanks guys, very helpful

Mal
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:56 am

Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:18 pm

Brexit, the gift that keeps giving. :roll:
I was stung £75 for a £280 tent last month imported from the US if that helps with a ball park figure. :?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby malrobb » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:49 pm

Just did a little more digging around this and it appears quite murky. The company that sells the sleeping bag is Polish and I did contact them and they mentioned that "when we send goods to the UK we deduct Polish Tax 23%". Its not clear on the website if the price of the bag, which is listed in GBP has this already taken off. If not it might net itself out as I would get 23% off the cost(Polish Tax) and then get 22% added on(Custom Charge) plus the delivery charge.

If anybody know the suppliers of these sleeping bags in UK then that might be easier or might have to look at Alpkit. :wink:
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:57 pm

malrobb wrote:Just did a little more digging around this and it appears quite murky. The company that sells the sleeping bag is Polish and I did contact them and they mentioned that "when we send goods to the UK we deduct Polish Tax 23%". Its not clear on the website if the price of the bag, which is listed in GBP has this already taken off. If not it might net itself out as I would get 23% off the cost(Polish Tax) and then get 22% added on(Custom Charge) plus the delivery charge.

If anybody know the suppliers of these sleeping bags in UK then that might be easier or might have to look at Alpkit. :wink:

Can't add much to that, other than to say that several friends previously bought Cumulus and found it excellent quality and service (pre-B-word). Some bags have a differential fill (less on bottom than top) which may or may not suit you. As a side sleeper, I decided against. I would ask them about what price is showing, to be certain. As far as I'm aware, the Cumulus brand is not distributed by anybody in the UK.
I have a light Alpkit Pipedream, which I love for warmer weather and has done many trips. Great bag. For winter, I ended up with PHD, when I was feeling flush, and haven't regretted it.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alex W » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:57 pm

I'm waiting with bated breath for a replacement walking pole section from Black Diamond. I posted about a bent walking pole on another thread and joked about the section coming from Austria and me coming on here.

The Black Diamond site was marked as UK, the pole section was priced in £s, my credit card has been charged in £s and my invoice shows I have ben charged VAT at 20%. There is nothing to say that it's an import. UPS are the carrier and I've now received notice that it is held up in Netherlands due to a "Brexit issue".

There is nothing yet to indicate that I'm going to be charged more when it arrives, but I'll let you know.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:13 pm

Same here, I didn't realise Trekinn were EU based, gonna get hit with taxes when my stuff gets here. Works out not much more expensive than UK prices on what I ordered, just a bit of a nuisance and a delay, that's all.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby malrobb » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:51 pm

Thanks for the updates. I pulled the trigger on the sleeping bag and expect to get hit with 22-28% taxes when it arrives. To be fair you can change the currency on the website to Euros and it is more expensive so the £ price does have the Polish Tax taken off.
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Postby whiteburn » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:56 am

This site https://www.simplyduty.com/#calc is pretty good at estimating (exchange rate may change the actual value on the day) the any import taxes for goods from the EU or elsewhere, there'll also be a handling fee added by the delivery company of £8 to £12 (in the case of Royal Mail its £8).
There's always the possibility that the goods may slip through the customs process 'un-noticed' which can provide an unexpected bonus.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby Alex W » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:38 pm

Alex W wrote:I'm waiting with bated breath for a replacement walking pole section from Black Diamond. I posted about a bent walking pole on another thread and joked about the section coming from Austria and me coming on here.

The Black Diamond site was marked as UK, the pole section was priced in £s, my credit card has been charged in £s and my invoice shows I have ben charged VAT at 20%. There is nothing to say that it's an import. UPS are the carrier and I've now received notice that it is held up in Netherlands due to a "Brexit issue".

There is nothing yet to indicate that I'm going to be charged more when it arrives, but I'll let you know.

The pole section arrived today - no duty or charges. Black Diamond on the "good guys" list!
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:47 am

Stuff arrived from trekinn this morning, looks like I've escaped the duties, I'd assume you get notification of them predelivery.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:37 pm

If they expect you to pay any import duties from you then you will NOT have the item in your hand, so you can relax.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk