walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Thermarest ProLite Apex - review of a UK winter rated pad

Thermarest ProLite Apex - review of a UK winter rated pad

Postby westonfront » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:15 pm

I bought a ProLite Apex with the naive expectation of being able to get out onto the fells over this winter. But being a 'man with a new toy' I had to find a way to try it out, so I waited for a cold nights and headed out into the wilds of our back garden to test it out at - 3 C and again at -1 C.

The executive summary is that I was very pleased with it's performance with just a couple of minor niggles. To read the full review, head to:

https://bit.ly/3rBLWys
westonfront
Mountain Walker

Re: Thermarest ProLite Apex - review of a UK winter rated pa

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:43 pm

I think your review shows that we all have slightly different priorities when we weigh up what sleeping pad to go for.

For me weight and size is a key consideration if I have to carry it on my (frail) shoulders, so I went for a small (= 3/4 size) Xlite, and have been very satisfied with it (though I haven't had to use it in really cold weather). It has a quoted R-value of 4.2, and it certainly feels very warm. It packs to a really small size, and weighs only 230gm, which seems pretty good to me.

If I don't have to carry my pad, then I have an Exped Synmat UL Winter, which is bigger and therefore a bit more comfortable, has a claimed R-value of 5.0 (and has proven to be very warm camping in winter), but weighs about 600gm.

I'm a side sleeper, and find both work well for me in this regards.

You mention bad memories of air beds, but these mats have a fine cellular construction, which means that in contrast to the traditional air bed, they insulate very well. So I don't feel the need for foam. If one wants to protect the mat against puncture or have a fall-back in case one gets a puncture when one isn't in a position to repair it, one can take a 10mm thick foam pad, which costs peanuts and doesn't really weigh anything either.

PS what's the winter bag you have?
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby westonfront » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:52 pm

Hi A-K

My sleeping bag is a North Face Blue Kazoo, from the late 90's so when North Face were an outdoor equipment manufacturer not a leisurewear / fashion brand. Today the Blue Kazoo is rated to -9C, back then it was -15 C comfort and -20 C absolute.

wrt to the structure of wholly air pads, it was the comfort I always found the issue not the insulation. Air is an excellent insulator. Most solid insulators rely on having an open structure that traps air. I always found lilo like 'camping mattresses' to either be without give if pumped up too hard or very fluid and wobbly if at a lower pressure. Is that resolved with the new multi-chamber ones? Different folks, different strokes though. I'd like to try a NeoAir pad sometime, but ideally I'd borrow one for a couple of nights before committing £200 to one.
westonfront
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:47 am

westonfront wrote:Hi A-K

My sleeping bag is a North Face Blue Kazoo, from the late 90's so when North Face were an outdoor equipment manufacturer not a leisurewear / fashion brand. Today the Blue Kazoo is rated to -9C, back then it was -15 C comfort and -20 C absolute.

AK: heck, that's pretty heavy duty. Mine's -6 comfort, and weighs 1.5kg.

wrt to the structure of wholly air pads, it was the comfort I always found the issue not the insulation. Air is an excellent insulator. Most solid insulators rely on having an open structure that traps air. I always found lilo like 'camping mattresses' to either be without give if pumped up too hard or very fluid and wobbly if at a lower pressure. Is that resolved with the new multi-chamber ones?

AK: I started by inflating too much, then went to too little. Now I've found a medium inflation level that suits me well. Just take care not to inflate using your own breath in winter - if it's very cold you end up waking with a partially deflated mattress! So for me, yes, I at least don't find either the Exped or Thermorest to have anything like the hard/wobbly characteristics of the old air beds.

Different folks, different strokes though. I'd like to try a NeoAir pad sometime, but ideally I'd borrow one for a couple of nights before committing £200 to one.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby westonfront » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:20 pm

Update : My first post lockdown trip away tells me that the pad is good to at least -7C :-)
westonfront
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk