walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best trousers for thick leg lol

Best trousers for thick leg lol

Postby Stu43 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:51 pm

Hi there, new to the site so don’t bite haha.

After some recommendations for a good pair of trousers. 36” waist but generally get a 38” as got rather wide thighs due to lots of cycling and weights. Tend to find trousers not very flexible and rather uncomfy. Been looking at Montane Terra or Trek 900 from decathlon.

Any recommendations would be brilliant.
Stu43
Backpacker

Re: Best trousers for thick leg lol

Postby nathan79 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:53 pm

A good stretch fabric is definitely the key.
My go-to are Decathlon, what is currently called the Quechua MH500. They've changed the name and design a bit over the years but I have three pairs bought at different times and find them a great option. Good 4-way stretch, decent pocket options. 34" inch leg which is too long for me at 5'11" but there is an ankle drawcord. I've got them in 36" (size 46) and 38" (size 48), the 36s are what some would call indecently tight while the 38s are more modest, still not the loosest on the thigh but with the stretch it's not an issue.

The Trek 900 are a good harder wearing option and still at a great price.

Montane Terra Stretch may be worth a look, I've always avoided the standard Terras because of the lack of stretch fabric. Marmot Scree pants are good stretchy midweight options
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby rgf101 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:02 pm

I can find trousers tight, but the standard Craghoppers Kiwis always work - although they shrank the pockets and I've not yet forgiven them.
rgf101

Postby AdamR » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:10 am

rgf101 wrote:I can find trousers tight, but the standard Craghoppers Kiwis always work - although they shrank the pockets and I've not yet forgiven them.

I can 2nd the Craghoppers Kiwi. A very comfortable pair of trousers for hiking. The kiwi shorts are also excellent
AdamR
Hill Bagger

Munros:97   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:3   

Postby rgf101 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:04 am

I've had a hell of a lot of use out of mine - think I have three pairs, two convertible pairs that zip off into shorts and a lined pair for winter. The older ones with the zipped front pockets can hold a ridiculous amount of stuff. Faded a bit but no tears or holes in pockets. Not as stylish or technical as some, but always available dirt cheap somewhere.

Had a look at current models and disappointed to see they still don't make them with as many pockets as they used to. My oldest pair has, if I remember correctly, two buttoned back pockets, two front pockets, two zipped security pockets "inside" the front pockets, and two side pockets, one with a mobile phone pouch. £25 in 2012 and still going strong.

Anyway, enough trouser nostalgia.

I've always thought I'll get the Montane Terras when the Kiwis have to go, just because every second person out on the hill is wearing them, so they must be good.
rgf101

Postby AyrshireAlps » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:13 am

Aye, I have thev trek 900 and MH500, both excellent. 500s are great all round Trews, 900s come out when it's colder.

Had both for 2 years now, brilliant reliablity. You've reminded me to buy another couple of pairs 😉
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby malrc » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:13 pm

Nothing you won't have heard before, but I thoroughly recommend trying trousers on in a shop (when it's possible). I've suffered with a slim waist and passably big legs for years (although these days the waist is growing and legs probably shrinking :lol: )

Much like with any other legwear in these days of slim and skinny fit, buying hiking trousers can be a real pain. As others have said, stretch materials are the norm so it isn't as bad as it was, but buying without trying on is a lottery.
malrc
Hill Bagger

Munros:48   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:20
Islands:3

Postby Stu43 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:12 pm

Cheers for all the replies. As mentioned buying without trying is a lottery but not really any choice at the moment. Ordered a par of Trek 900's from Decathlon. Material is very stretch and comfy, Bit snug round the leg but plenty of flex and not one bit restricted. Away up Ben Chorzie next weekend with wife so will get a good feel for quality then. Her first Munro after full knee rebuild surgery in October.
Stu43
Backpacker

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:56 am

Tracksuit trousers are baggy and stretchy, the material dries quickly without 'wicking' water up your legs. For windproofing, a pair of baggy shell-suit or waterproof over-trousers. Cheap and functional.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Veryhappybunny » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:07 pm

I got a lot of wear from a pair of Powerstretch leggings, before I wore them out. For colder weather I like Paramo velez trousers. They come in different lengths too so might suit.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk