walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Winter sale for Winter Jackets

Winter sale for Winter Jackets

Postby benzebu » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:20 am

With the Winter sale approaching, I am fishing for a very good "all-terrain" winter jacket. I would like to get something that it will be useful those Highlands rainy and very cold days, but that can be used several times a day to walk my dog.

I have some remarks:

* No down filled
* Warm and at least water repellent

So far I have seen a couple of jackets that could be useful:
* Jack Wolfskin Mens The Cook Insulated Down Park ~£250
* Fjallraven Skogso Padded Jacket ~£250
* Patagonia Isthmus Parka ~£180

I wanted to ask if the money for these is really worth it or a Decathlon Ski jacket would be more useful. I wouldn't like to spend ~£200 to be honest, but if the durability and usefulness is worth it, then it is probably worth stretching my budget.
benzebu
Mountain Walker

Re: Winter sale for Winter Jackets

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:03 am

benzebu wrote:With the Winter sale approaching, I am fishing for a very good "all-terrain" winter jacket. I would like to get something that it will be useful those Highlands rainy and very cold days, but that can be used several times a day to walk my dog.
I have some remarks:
* No down filled
* Warm and at least water repellent
So far I have seen a couple of jackets that could be useful:
* Jack Wolfskin Mens The Cook Insulated Down Park ~£250
* Fjallraven Skogso Padded Jacket ~£250
* Patagonia Isthmus Parka ~£180
I wanted to ask if the money for these is really worth it or a Decathlon Ski jacket would be more useful. I wouldn't like to spend ~£200 to be honest, but if the durability and usefulness is worth it, then it is probably worth stretching my budget.

You are far better off with a layering system; an outer jacket of breathable goretex or some such, then a warm fleece, and a thinner layer with a baselayer too (long-sleeved nylon top). These can be adjusted to suit your situation, unlike one big parka which may be too hot in some situations.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Skyelines » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:09 pm

The down side (there's a pun there somewhere) of a heavily insulated jacket is that it only gets used a few months of the year and spends the rest expensively hanging in a cupboard.

Layering offers more choices and practicality throughout the year and more value for money. Paramo do some nice gear too.

My tip for winter outings is get some added leg insulation before adding loads on top.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:40 am

Agree with both of those above, layers and decent trousers for the win.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby BigTed » Tue May 04, 2021 11:35 pm

But a cheap Decathlon jacket wins for walking the dog. Quicker to throw on a big jacket than 2 or 3 layers.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Alteknacker » Wed May 05, 2021 3:04 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:Agree with both of those above, layers and decent trousers for the win.

Agreed. You definitely lose a lot of heat through one's thighs in real cold (I wear 3 pairs of trousers for winter rugby matches!!).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu May 06, 2021 7:31 am

Alteknacker wrote: You definitely lose a lot of heat through one's thighs in real cold (I wear 3 pairs of trousers for winter rugby matches!!).

I surmount that problem by never playing rugby in winter. Nor any other time. :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk