walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Trail Runners vs Lightweight Mountaineering Boot

Trail Runners vs Lightweight Mountaineering Boot

Postby malrc » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:01 pm

Hi All,

With restrictions starting to lift, a friend and I are finally starting to seriously contemplate trips up to Scotland (thinking late May/early June all going well). The current plan is a circuit of the Loch Mullardoch munros over 3 days.

Historically, I've always opted for a trail running shoe regardless of trip length, especially as I've tried to go down a lightweight kit route. This has been perfect for day trips, where I don't mind wet shoes, but less ideal on multi-day trips where wet shoes become a real pain in camp as does the need to carry several pairs of extra socks.

Not wanting to pay out for a pair of walking boots, I have 2 options:

1) Stick with trail runners and deal with the downsides if it's wet
2) Wear my pair of Scarpa Ribelle CL HD lightweight mountaineering boots

The Scarpas were bought pre-covid last year as I had intended to do more winter trips. My research suggested they would be good for winter trips, scrambling and potentially longer trips too. As I haven't been able to test them, I'm cautious about committing to a 3 day trip in them (I will obviously endeavour to break them in with some local walks, but nothing of any great distance will be possible).

Do people have any advice and/or experience of the RIbelles for use as a walking boot?
malrc
Hill Bagger

Munros:48   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:20
Islands:3

Re: Trail Runners vs Lightweight Mountaineering Boot

Postby whiteburn » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:28 pm

Just go with the trail runners & pack a pair of plastic bags (bread bags) to wear over your bed socks in the evening so that possibly wet shoes can be worn around camp.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby kenncunn » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:59 pm

Take a couple of pairs of waterproof socks eg.sealskinz
kenncunn
Mountaineer

Postby malrc » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:48 pm

whiteburn wrote:Just go with the trail runners & pack a pair of plastic bags (bread bags) to wear over your bed socks in the evening so that possibly wet shoes can be worn around camp.

This is a good idea! Can't believed I haven't discovered it before.
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby malrc » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:51 pm

kenncunn wrote:Take a couple of pairs of waterproof socks eg.sealskinz

Yep, I tend to wear WP socks during the day over some thin wool socks. For 3 days, that tends to mean 2 pairs of WP socks, 2 liners, and then at least a couple of pairs of camp/emergency wool socks
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby Scottk » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:44 pm

Unless the weather looks seriously wet, I would stick with the trainers. If the weather has been reasonable, it should be dry along the ridge and only when you drop down will it be wetter (fingers crossed).
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby malrc » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:50 pm

Thanks all, consensus on trail shoes, so will stick with them unless the weather is due to be particularly bad. I think I'll wear the Scarpas for some local walks to start breaking them in in any case. Won't hurt to get a feel for their comfort level.
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby rgf101 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:12 am

What I find helpful is to remove and air shoes and socks at rest breaks. Loosen the laces and pull the tongues out, flap the socks around a bit and let them sit in the sun, let your feet dry off. All helps.
rgf101

Postby malrc » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:12 pm

When the weather is okay, I feel trail runners are the clear choice for me. It's just those classic Scottish days where you spend hours in the cold, clag and/or rain when I value creature comforts like dry feet.

I'm tempted to try something like this:

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/hok1302/hoka-speedgoat-mid-2-gore~tex-walking-boots-~-ss21/?utm_campaign=uk-unpaid-shopping&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_content=Hoka+Speedgoat+Mid+2+GORE-TEX+Walking+Boots&utm_term=URLrefresh&kw=&cpn=6513413702&gclid=Cj0KCQjwutaCBhDfARIsAJHWnHuT6RVHSgSGmIZlLRcxuup3KOkL_G9z_0ihAt9cVd7YjGgjw6jTUZQaAqAdEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#sku-hok1302

I use Hokas for my running, so they will get use even if they are unsuccessful for hiking...
malrc
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk