walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Navigation watch, app or...?

Navigation watch, app or...?

Postby xanderamsterdam » Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:10 am

Hello, I am preparing for some walking half year from now in Cairngorms. Am looking into the best tools for me to navigate. Watch, iPhone app, or other gps trackers devices (bigger display than a watch). Could anyone share some experience on which would be best in terms of accuracy, easy to handle, downloading gps tracks, etc? Many thanks
xanderamsterdam
Mountain Walker

Re: Navigation watch, app or...?

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:42 pm

Try the OS Maps and OS Navigate app. You can get a premium subscription for 20-25 a year and that lets you download map tiles and routes. I have a Garmin Instinct watch which I use for navigation too. I carry a map and compass but never have to use them.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Marty_JG » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:14 pm

Apps are great the potential problem is the hardware. Your phone. Is it waterproof? How long does the battery last? Will it be disabled or destroyed by a drop or a knock?
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby motorlaunch » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:38 pm

Agree with marty_g, do not rely on your phone for navigation. Best to purchase a map for the area you are walking in. Ordinance survey do one which covers the Cairngorm. Much easier to plan using a paper map. As a backup I use the Back Country Navigator app which let's you download OS maps for free. You can also download gpx routes to it. I only refer to the app when I am unsure of my location. This means the phone battery will last several days, although I also carry a powerbank, as insurance.
motorlaunch
Mountaineer

Postby davekeiller » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:36 pm

Precisely what do you want the device to do?

Many people navigate primarily with a paper map and a compass, and we would recommend you do this too. If you do that, then what you need is a device that will give you a grid reference so that you can locate yourself if you get lost. If you have a smartphone, the free OS locate app will do this for you.
If you buy a paper OS map, this also includes a digital download, so you can have the map available on your phone or tablet if you wish.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Tringa » Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:22 am

Another vote for a paper map, compass, the knowledge of how to use them and the free OS Locate app. I think these are a great combination of old and new technology.

Dave
Tringa

Postby xanderamsterdam » Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:46 pm

thx to all of you for the replies! cheers, Xander
xanderamsterdam
Mountain Walker

Postby AspiringHiker » Sun May 02, 2021 8:26 pm

Compass and 25k OS map on regular A4/letter paper printed with laser printer and stuffed into extra large freezer zip lock bag you can get in any supermarket. Make sure the lock doesn't have a sliding bit as it makes it leaky. Laser printer can sometimes be found in convenience shops or similar places. I also carry 250k maps because they make it easy to position yourself relative to distant peaks.

I also carry garmin GPS with OS maps, but it's off most of the time and only comes on if I'm unsure of my location or back up if I somehow loose maps. This former usually happens within forestry sections as OS map sometimes has wrong tracks, cleared forest can expose terrain features where the map shows none and the number of streams you can spot depends on the weather. You can probably use phone in waterproof case with OS maps preloaded for the same purpose, but I haven't tried. My garmin has pressure sensitive screen which works well in the rain or waterproof case unlike normal phone screen. Check at home by simulating using the device in rain i.e. with wet hands or through a waterproof case under shower.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby Klaasloopt » Thu May 13, 2021 10:29 am

I use an iPhone for navigation, with paper prints of ridges and difficult areas as a backup. The app I use is Viewranger, recently Viewranger has been swallowed by Outdooractive, a similar app with more modern features. I draw my routes and variations (safer, shorter) on the digital maps, and often do planning or measurement while on the way.

In practice, even in really bad or cold weather, I rely on the phone. However, for direction I often use a compass, and navigate using landscape features such as rivers, streams and ridges. Super foolproof.

At home, I print a 'routebook' and scribble info and route variations on it, to 'get' my route.

Cheers, Klaas

IMG_6182.jpg
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby scott_wanstall » Thu May 13, 2021 5:36 pm

I use a paper map & compass alongside OS Maps on my phone.

I draw my primary / alternative / escape routes on the map using red, blue, green & black friction pens (these can be rubbed out) & regularly check my surroundings to make sure I'm on track. I use the phone (set to aeroplane mode with the relevant map tile downloaded) as a GPS, using elevation & grid references to locate myself and/or as an aid to navigating in low visibility.

I always keep my phone charged & waterproofed.

If you haven't already checked it out, Lyle Brothertons 'Ultimate Navigation Handbook' is a fantastic resource! :D
scott_wanstall
Wanderer

Munros:2   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Klaasloopt » Fri May 14, 2021 10:21 am

I use an iPhone for navigation, with paper prints of ridges and difficult areas as a backup. The app I use is Viewranger, (recently swallowed by Outdooractive). I draw my routes and variations (safer, shorter) on the digital maps, alos when in the field.

In practice, even in bad weather, I rely on the phone. I never use its point-by-point navigation. I prefer to navigate using landscape features such as rivers, streams, known paths and ridges, supported by the app. Quite foolproof IMO.

When preparing a route I print an A3 size 'routebook' and scribble info and escape routes and variations on it, to 'get' my route.

Hope this helps with your choice and enjoy the walk,
cheers,
Klaas

IMG_6182.jpg
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Sun May 16, 2021 12:20 pm

Another good little free iOS app is called "Gridpoint GB"

gives lots of information inc eastings/northings, sunrise/sunset, grid reference also shows you which os map you are on and even the nearest postcode.

great as a back up to a map.
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby jolly47roger » Sun May 16, 2021 1:05 pm

Still being developed but "mobile.boydsmaps.com" is a free Web App that runs on Android, iOS and desktops . Included is a map of Britain based on OS Opendata with Rights of Way and Core Paths for much of Scotland.

The current version will pinpoint your position but more options are, I understand, being worked on. It needs a phone signal, though, to open the app.

When you start the App its in the US but click the maps Icon to find Britain maps.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby AyrshireAlps » Tue May 18, 2021 1:48 pm

It needs a phone signal, though, to open the app

Any app that requires a phone signal, or data, is doomed to failure really.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk