walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Tent officiandos - new to market Sea To Summit Alto TR2plus?

Tent officiandos - new to market Sea To Summit Alto TR2plus?

Postby St Pedro » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:21 pm

I am currently deciding what lightweight (<1.5kg) tent to purchase for hill adventures with my Westie, want option to accommodate 1 other occasionally so looking at 2 person tents. Currently use a wild country mistral at 3.5kg.

Now turned 50 looking to be kinder to the pack horse
have also invested in thermarest neo air Xlite mat (360g) and Sea to summit spark III down bag (665g)
I was lucky to get some birthday funds for these 3 purchases so for a change budget not an issue

Want 2 entrances and decent vestibules

MSR freelite 2 was topping my list but just become aware of new kids on the Tent block Sea To Summit - Alto or Telos, available in 1 or 2 person. Sea to Summit make quality other gear and they have spent 3 years researching & testing before bringing them to market this April.

i am now seriously considering the Alto2 plus - plus means non mesh inner and better quality groundsheet for colder / wetter climates. The higher head height and easier access via doors and top vent to minimise any condensation, plus some nice touches like storage pouches and light bar

https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/tents/alto-tr2-plus/

thoughts from those with the knowledge?
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Re: Tent officiandos - new to market Sea To Summit Alto TR2p

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:04 am

If you use hiking sticks then LanShan 2?
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:38 pm

Lanshan 2.

A third of the price of that, and lighter too.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby St Pedro » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:54 pm

Cheers for suggestions

would have doubts on robustness of Lanshan in scottish "breezy" wet conditions, especially with a down sleeping bag

and walking pole option no good for my preferred wild base camps, where head up into hills during the day and returning to camp, (i do use 2 pacer poles, so weird handles)

i can get a 10% discount so Sea to Summit Alto TR plus would be around £400,
but price not main issue as happy to pay around this for something that hits the spot.

I know a lot of tent aficionados will often have a cupboard of options, but i'm trying to find one that will survive proper shoulder seasons and provide roomy shelter when nature challenging us, but i can carry comfortably for extended hill treks.

Not bought a serious new tent for a long time, my wild county Mistral was bought off ebay from Tent fan with a cupboard full. Other tent i have is a very lightweight single skin one bought in France during WC98 that is a condensation trap that doesn't like wind - so hopeless for hills but light and did use for WHW. Oh also do have a Vango family tent with 2 sleeping compartments that we can stand up in, so even i have 3 already...

what is the answer to how many tents do you need, answer always +1 (cyclists have similar story re bikes)

I was more wondering on what folk thought of these new tents offerings from Sea to Summit?

https://www.seatosummit.co.uk/products/tents/alto-tr2-plus/

any obvious design flaws for our spring / autumn conditions, something i am missing as new to evaluating the myriad of options out there.
We all have slightly differing requirements so realise compromise is usually required to some degree.
Quality, lightweight (<1.5kg), 2 person, 2 doors, decent vestibules, roomy interior, decent head height, cope with wind/rain, storage options, happy to spend lots time in if needed or decide to just chill out, anything else would be a bonus.

cheers folks
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:25 pm

LanShans are used in Scotland (and the whole of the UK) in wet and windy conditions, lots of Youtube videos you can see them. If you want to keep your hiking poles with you, you can buy lightweight tarp poles of the right height. Still a lot less weight than most tents of its size.

As you say though if the weight of your wallet is a burden then you can throw half a grand at a problem other people can solve for £80.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:33 pm

Lanshan is pretty good in wind tbh, and you could pitch the tent then whip your poles away for a walk, leaving tent pegged out. A few sites sell mushroom plugs for the bottom of your poles, meaning you could use pacer poles upside down (I use them that way in my lunar solo)

Some folk prefer a 'brand' though, I get that.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 am

The Lanshan tents are pretty decent to be honest, I'd swap out the standard pegs though, I reckon they're a bit short for some of the soft ground in Scotland.

Have you looked at the US Market? Something like a Tarptent Stratospire 2 or a Zpacks Duplex may tick your box.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:36 am

^^ And that's a man that knows his tents! :clap: :D
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby St Pedro » Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:42 pm

cheers for that

like the loook of the scarp 1 or stratospire 2

will check them out more fully
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk