walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

west highland way gear list

west highland way gear list

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:53 pm

as the title suggests this is my west highland way gear list for may/june 2021, depending on lockdown, weather and ability to get a preferred week off work.

https://lighterpack.com/r/uw8l1f

some notes on this list

1. i am intending to take soap, deodorant and shaving gear with me this isn't going to change i won't be embracing my stink.
2. i have kept the above to a minimum by transferring them to small plastic bags.
3. my guide book is basically cut in half i don't need tourist tips for uk just the actual walk guide.
4. i have included links to everything on the list and where this isn't possible i have included a photo.
5. my first aid kit is minimal apart from medications for a back issue i have, i am first aid trained and can improvise if need be.
6. i haven't worn my lone peak 5's yet so i don't know how they are.
7. i have sent for the dirty girl gaiters from the US using a third party postal service which gives me a despatch address in florida if you want to know more about this i will provide details.

8. well here goes, any feedback, positive, negative is greatly appreciated, if you have any questions about anything feel free to comment or drop me a line and i will try to answer as best i can.

thank you to anyone who reads this

steve
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Re: west highland way gear list

Postby davekeiller » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:35 pm

In June you won't need a down jacket AND a fleece - one or the other
Ditto merino cap and buff
Ski bottoms in summer?
Are you wild camping, or using campsites? A water filter seems unnecessary as there are plenty of places to fill up with safe water. If using campsites, the toilet kit is unnecessary as you can use the toilets at the campsite.
Personally I wouldn't bother with deodorant or shaving kit. I also wouldn't bother with gaiters on the west highland way - most of it's a pretty well made path.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:21 pm

Thanks

Should have said the fleece (this is a microfleece), hat and 3/4 ski bottoms (which are fleecy) are my pyjamas

The be free is only 60 grams and allows me a certain amount of freedom

Buff ...... noted
Gaiters.......noted
Cap is waterproof and keeps sun and rain out my eyes and weighs nothing

My plan is to camp wherever I am if that’s a campsite or a wild camp so be it

My deodorant and shave kit is less than 100 grams but duly noted

My plan is may/June but nothing set in stone will make final decisions on gear literally the day before I go

Thanks
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Postby davekeiller » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:59 am

Do you need pyjamas?

Thinking about it, I probably wouldn't take water from streams along the west highland way - it's too close to civilisation for me to feel happy that the water's not polluted by chemicals from agriculture for most of the route.
Personally, I'd aim to use campsites until Tyndrum and to wildcamp somewhere near Bridge of Orchy, then either wildcamp at Kingshouse or use the campsite at the ski centre if it's open, campsite at Kinlochleven and then campsite/B&B at Fort William if staying overnight. Toilet facilities at Bridge of Orchy hotel and Kingshouse hotel probably mean that the toilet trowel wouldn't be needed.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby rgf101 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:10 pm

I'd plan ahead a little on where to camp - there are stretches of the WHW where you can't legally camp, or will find it hard to camp due to the terrain. And it'll make life a lot easier.

There's stuff in there I wouldn't take - the pillow, for example, I just bundle up a coat or fleece and use that. But you seem to have some pretty lightweight gear, so if you like it and you have it already, fair enough. I'd second the above advice - gaiters, for example, aren't needed. But you've got the weight way down, so have scope to carry stuff 'just in case' if you want.
rgf101

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:58 pm

I tend to sleep cold hence why the sleep wear

My only really undecided thing is trousers, might go with running tights or the lightweight Patagonia ones at 120g which gives me scope to take shorts if it looks warm.

My rough idea is salochy first night, then go from there beinglas or somewhere nearby, bridge of Orchy, kinlochleven but that’s a rough idea as obviously weather could play a major role either way.

I have a whole set of places to stay based on mileages but don’t want a rigid format will just go with the flow, am hoping to go midweek or Friday at latest (hopefully less people around) and will aim to get a Loch Lomond permit just in case.

Thanks your comments are greatly appreciated
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Postby prog99 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:28 pm

Sit mat? That’s what your rucksacks for.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:33 am

prog99 wrote:Sit mat? That’s what your rucksacks for.

I am 53 not 23 🤣🤣🤣
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Postby prog99 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:26 am

I’m older than I may appear in my avatar. :wink:
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:20 am

Plus I haven’t paid to have my rucksack custom made to then sit on it 🤣🤣🤣
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:49 pm

rgf101 wrote:There's stuff in there I wouldn't take - the pillow, for example, I just bundle up a coat or fleece and use that.

The Trekology pillows with the elastic strap on the back are a godsend, at least for me. I've never had an improvised bundle pillow last me even 5 minutes at night, but I am a "fighter" sleeper; with the strapped pillow STILL under me when I wake up I end up so much more refreshed. Obviously if you're a "statue" sleeper this won't apply to you.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:11 pm

Marty_JG wrote:
rgf101 wrote:There's stuff in there I wouldn't take - the pillow, for example, I just bundle up a coat or fleece and use that.

The Trekology pillows with the elastic strap on the back are a godsend, at least for me. I've never had an improvised bundle pillow last me even 5 minutes at night, but I am a "fighter" sleeper; with the strapped pillow STILL under me when I wake up I end up so much more refreshed. Obviously if you're a "statue" sleeper this won't apply to you.

Yeah that’s why I got it, not the lightest, not necessarily the most luxurious but it’s still exactly where I strapped it the night before, no waking up half way through the night wondering where it went.

Such a simple idea that makes a huge difference to those that appreciate it.
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:49 pm

Pillows are one of those worth their weight items, the difference between a decent sleep and not, for me. Sit mats weigh bugger all.

What's the 13 bamboo sheets? That for hoop wipeage?
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:09 pm

You don't need a guidebook and a map, difficult to get lost on the WHW, ditch the book and keep the map. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby rgf101 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:14 pm

Depends what's in the book - if it's got local knowledge and points out stuff you might miss, I'd keep it. If it's just so you don't get lost - well, you'd be hard pressed to do that anyway, and it can be left.
rgf101

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk