walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Thermarest neo xlite

Thermarest neo xlite

Postby Lauris » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Does anyone know -
What is temperature limit for xlite?

I took it with me for -3 camping also had z sol with me combined 6.2 r value.
I was feeling the cold from the ground :shock:
Surely 6.2 is enough isn't it?

z sol is 2 r vallue
x lite is 4.2

I am fairly new to wild camping, a few variables I suppose is that it was snowing and a little and my tent was covered in snow a little bit not sure if these things should be taken into factor.

My sleeping bag is rated comfort limit -6 as well.

This is my 3rd mat where I cannot side sleep on, I will however keep it for 2021 and probably sell it end of year and buy nemo for 2022
If I deflate it I lose r -value which makes me cold.
Heard only but good thing about nemo mats will have to try it!
I consider sleeping is one of most important things for me.
I need a mat is comfy has high r value so I can sleep at top of munros -/+ 1000 ft.
If anyone knows a good one that ticks above boxes let me know.
I considered xtherm but like I say thermarest mats are not good for me as a side sleeper.

thanks!
Lauris

Re: Thermarest neo xlite

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:06 pm

I suspect you run very cold.

Given the stuff you were using, I would have been absolutely cooking! But I run quite hot.

I find my Exped synmat UL winter keeps me really toasty in outside temperatures well well below zero, in snow, with frozen ground.

So there may not be a simple solution, other than more and more insulation. The only fairly obvious thing would be to concentrate on the insulation from below, to get the biggest bang for your £. You could test the situation by getting another 10mm foam sheet (pennies) and see if it makes any difference. The other thing people who do a lot of cold weather camping tell me is to put on all your clothes when you go to bed.

Good luck - hope you find a solution that works for you.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Scraggygoat » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:31 pm

You have my sympathies, if you get a Nemo please let us know how you all get on, I'm considering the Alpine tensor but the cost!

As a boney 10-11st side sleeper I have been disappointed and occasionally cold on Thermarests, Exped synmat UL 6 (and suffered multiple mat design failures...all sorted by Exped to their credit, and then they re-engineered) and Sea to Summit comfort insulated light (prone to punctures), Though generally a good old fashioned karrimat mat underneath at least sorts the cold, as I find that while the air mat deforms when side sleeping to allow contact, at least the under matt prevents direct conduction, but psychologically at times I feel cold even though still protected. That can be a big problem I find, if you think you are going to be cold, in your semi-subconscious you are always alert to it. If I lay on my back the cold sensation goes away, but I cannae sleep.

Your bag being rated to -6 used at -3 is quiet close to limit, and everyone has a different metabolic rate, add a bit of humidity, drafts, feeling slightly off colour, a long hard day, maybe slightly damp thermals, multiple days out and bag 'droop' ect and you could be at the limit.

Fiddle with diet before bed, also consider an emergency hunk of Christmas cake (sugar for a quick boost, and then the currents and raisins and fats for longer release) for that metabolic low awakening in the small hours, check you are not wearing too much inside the bag preventing it lofting. If that doesn't work and you are feeling the cold from below when on your side, its time for a new mat.................which is roughly the point I'm at.
Scraggygoat

Postby Lauris » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:05 am

Scraggygoat wrote:You have my sympathies, if you get a Nemo please let us know how you all get on, I'm considering the Alpine tensor but the cost!

As a boney 10-11st side sleeper I have been disappointed and occasionally cold on Thermarests, Exped synmat UL 6 (and suffered multiple mat design failures...all sorted by Exped to their credit, and then they re-engineered) and Sea to Summit comfort insulated light (prone to punctures), Though generally a good old fashioned karrimat mat underneath at least sorts the cold, as I find that while the air mat deforms when side sleeping to allow contact, at least the under matt prevents direct conduction, but psychologically at times I feel cold even though still protected. That can be a big problem I find, if you think you are going to be cold, in your semi-subconscious you are always alert to it. If I lay on my back the cold sensation goes away, but I cannae sleep.

Your bag being rated to -6 used at -3 is quiet close to limit, and everyone has a different metabolic rate, add a bit of humidity, drafts, feeling slightly off colour, a long hard day, maybe slightly damp thermals, multiple days out and bag 'droop' ect and you could be at the limit.

Fiddle with diet before bed, also consider an emergency hunk of Christmas cake (sugar for a quick boost, and then the currents and raisins and fats for longer release) for that metabolic low awakening in the small hours, check you are not wearing too much inside the bag preventing it lofting. If that doesn't work and you are feeling the cold from below when on your side, its time for a new mat.................which is roughly the point I'm at.

Hi

I decided to go with Sea to Summit Ether Light XT Extreme!

Nemo alpine was 1st choice until I saw ether light extreme.
Ether light is meant to be most comfy due to the design and the extreme version has over 6 r value.
it is double the weight of neo xlite though! But I am willing to take that penalty if it means I will sleep better.

P.s I also seen reviewes that neo alpine version has valve issues.

Also I am 6ft4 at 15 stone haha!
Lauris

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:58 am

Eat before bed, and try to get inside bag when you're warm, not cold (some folk swear by 20 star jumps!)

I was out in the Galloways on saturday night, got down to -10, alpkit PD400 bag, standard exped synmat 7, amazon 7 quid foil/foam sheet below the synmat. Only cold issues I had were my nose and mouth from breathing in cold air, fired a buff over my face which sorted that.

I have a better insulated sleeping bag but the PD400 was new, and I wanted to try it out!.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:45 pm

You could buy a thin cellfoam mat and use that under your original mat to see if it helps with the insulation.
Too much tight fitting clothes can have the opposite effect to trapping bodyheat, could string vests make a comeback :wink:
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk