walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Waterproof walking boots

Waterproof walking boots

Postby Arshadash2 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:41 pm

Recommendations and help required. I’m on my 5th Munro and been through two pairs of boots. I’m looking for a pair that’s waterproof (boggy/marshy conditions) and resilient for hill walking. Any suggestions very welcomed 😊
Arshadash2
Munro compleatist

Munros:3   

Re: Waterproof walking boots

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:59 pm

Think most people on here will tell you to go to a shop and try them on... bit difficult at the moment but sizing can vary a fair bit between brands etc. Leather vs fabric is another issue too - leather will probably last longer but tend to be less comfy.

Meindl Bhutans are very popular. I had a pair but found after about 15 months they started to destroy my feet and have heard others have similar issues with them after a while.

I'm using Scarpa Rangers just now which are similar to the Bhutans but a bit more flexible. No real complaints.

In terms of fabric, Salomon pretty popular too, either the X Ultra 3 or Quest. My other half has a pair and says they're great. I've got a trainer pair and they seem decent. I'll probably look at Salomon or Salewa Mountain Trainers when I next get a pair.

Pretty much all of them will have a Goretex lining to make them waterproof. I would definitely encourage to shortlist boots with Goretex.

Last thing... gaiters will be a big help when you have to cross boggy ground.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Waterproof walking boots

Postby Arshadash2 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:17 pm

Thanks Ian,

I went for the Zamberian 311 ultra light GTX.

I’ve tried them only a couple of times but they’re amazing! Well worth paying the extra £100 compared to some of the boots Ive had in the past that haven’t lasted 6 months!

Cheers
Arshadash2
Munro compleatist

Munros:3   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk