walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin Oregon 600

Garmin Oregon 600

Postby Subway » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:05 pm

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help me?

I have had a Garmin Oregon 600 for the last seven years and have always been disappointed with the height measurements. I know that height measurements are inaccurate with GPS equipment but feel that maybe I’m using the wrong settings for the altimeter or perhaps the GPS unit is defective.
I use my GPS for hill walking and wonder if somebody could advise the appropriate settings. The choices I have are
Auto Calibration can be Off, At Power On or Continuous.
Barometer Mode can be Variable elevation or fixed elevation
Pressure Trending can be Save when power on or Save always
Plot Type can be Elevation/Time, Elevation/distance, Barometric Pressure or Ambient Pressure.

There are a lot of combinations and I never seem to get an accurate ascent and descent figures at the end of a walk. I’m talking about around 50metre difference between the starting point and finishing point when they are the same place.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Idris
Subway
Munro compleatist

Re: Garmin Oregon 600

Postby Marty_JG » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:11 pm

I suggest trying turn Auto Calibration OFF and manually calibrate via Elevation Plot > Menu > Calibrate Altimeter

You will need a GPS lock and you will need to know your elevation.

Barometer Mode needs to be set to Variable, I would plot Elevation (time or distance) and Pressure Trending shouldn't matter.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Re: Garmin Oregon 600

Postby Subway » Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:53 pm

Thanks Marty,
I'll try the settings you suggest and see how I get on the next time I'm out walking.
Idris
Subway
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk