walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Everything I want is sold out!

Everything I want is sold out!

Postby Jon and Jen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:25 pm

Can't find Therm-a-rest Neoair xtherm anywhere, just missed a second hand one on ebay as my £145 bid was not enough! Trying to buy an MSR Elixir 1 man but again, everywhere is sold out. Need to replace my Alpkit Brukit, sold out! Is this covid related? Can anyone advise reasonable alternatives with similar specs/prices.
So frustrating, trying to lighten the load for the SNT but running out of time.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Everything I want is sold out!

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:38 pm

If you wanna lighten the load in terms of cooking, soto windmaster and whatever size ti mug you desire will see you shift about 300g.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:46 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:Can't find Therm-a-rest Neoair xtherm anywhere, just missed a second hand one on ebay as my £145 bid was not enough! Trying to buy an MSR Elixir 1 man but again, everywhere is sold out. Need to replace my Alpkit Brukit, sold out! Is this covid related? Can anyone advise reasonable alternatives with similar specs/prices.
So frustrating, trying to lighten the load for the SNT but running out of time.

Yes, mostly Covid with a hint of blocked Suez and a lingering taste of Br***t leftover (the latter mostly about buyers being cautious to see how the heck the new system works I suspect, with a slight impact on delivery speed). The biggest factor now is the impact of Covid on the whole supply chain, with factories on massive catch up plans, and from listening to my own suppliers, huge amounts of uncertainty over lead times and production. In the logistics chain, containers are in short supply, as many ended up in the wrong places at the wrong time.
On top of this, last year stripped many outdoor suppliers of huge amounts of their stock, thanks to the popularity of the outdoors last summer, so they're starting from a lower stockholding than usual.

An alternative to the Alpkit Brukit is the Jobsworth X2. Very, very similar, the Alpkit just has a few slightly nicer touches to it. For the price, it does the job well; I bought one as a temporary stove and have ended up using it more than others.

Not sure on the comparable models, but Exped is normally the key alternative to Thermarest.

Tent wise, maybe have a look at the Naturehike and LuxeOutdoors offerings.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mash tun » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:51 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:Can't find Therm-a-rest Neoair xtherm anywhere, just missed a second hand one on ebay as my £145 bid was not enough!

Website says 10+ in stock now
https://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk/camping-trekking-c4/sleeping-c17/thermarest-sleeping-mats-c19/thermarest-neoair-xtherm-regular-p968/s1271?utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=thermarest-neoair-xtherm-regular-13250&utm_campaign=froogle&cid=GBP
mash tun

Postby nathan79 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:52 pm

Haven't used it, but this stove us an equivalent to the Brukit (and possibly the same stove) and it's in stock.

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CPJOX2CS/jobsworth-x2-outdoor-lightweight-cooking-stove-system
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Jon and Jen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:42 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:If you wanna lighten the load in terms of cooking, soto windmaster and whatever size ti mug you desire will see you shift about 300g.

I do like my brukit for quick coffees and teas, I take a lot of short breaks but I'm going to check that out as an option since I can't get one. Cheers.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Postby Jon and Jen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:45 pm

mash tun wrote:
Jon and Jen wrote:Can't find Therm-a-rest Neoair xtherm anywhere, just missed a second hand one on ebay as my £145 bid was not enough!

https://www.elitemountainsupplies.co.uk/camping-trekking-c4/sleeping-c17/thermarest-sleeping-mats-c19/thermarest-neoair-xtherm-regular-p968/s1271?utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=thermarest-neoair-xtherm-regular-13250&utm_campaign=froogle&cid=GBP

Oops, I meant the xlite. Sorry guys. been looking all day and my brain is fried.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Postby Jon and Jen » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:47 pm

Jobsworth looking like a decent alternative. Thanks guys.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Postby mash tun » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:30 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:
mash tun wrote:

Oops, I meant the xlite. Sorry guys. been looking all day and my brain is fried.

Tiso say they have the regular in stock £170 down from £195
https://www.tiso.com/eacev8ti0416/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-unisex-yellow/00187620/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw6-SDBhCMARIsAGbI7UjHy3bxBVnidnikQZT9bpnjxldOmirW3eUs473bvKVBd7ow1w1qFZIaAjTqEALw_wcB
mash tun

Postby Jon and Jen » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:17 am

Damn, was sure I had checked Tiso. Oh well. I ended up buying the Exped SynMat HL M which seems like a decent alternative for only £135. Got to be an improvement on my Trek 3 standard that weighs a kilo and takes up twice the volume in my pack. I also bought the MSR Elixir 2 man tent for £205. Went with that as I have the 3 man already and love it, the 2 man is light enough for 1 and allows me to keep my pack inside with me.
I got an email that alpkit will have the brukit back in stock in June so might just get a jobsworth for now until then. Thanks for the help guys.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk