walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Packable Daypack recommendations?

Packable Daypack recommendations?

Postby Jon and Jen » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:02 pm

Looking to get myself a daypack, around 20+l that will go in my big pack easily. I used to have a regatta that rolled up nicely but the zip gave as did the replacement so looking for something a bit more reliable. I like a hip and chest strap, most of the things I've looked at appear fairly flimsy. Anyone got anything they swear by. Will be looking to use it mainly for Munroes but easily packed for long walks in.
Thanks in advance.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Packable Daypack recommendations?

Postby andrewandsally » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:45 pm

We swear by osprey rucksacks. My husband is tall and finds them really comfortable. Good quality.
andrewandsally
Bird-watcher

Fionas:1   

Postby Jon and Jen » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:47 pm

andrewandsally wrote:We swear by osprey rucksacks. My husband is tall and finds them really comfortable. Good quality.

Had a look at the osprey ultralight but it has no lap or chest straps, I like a snug fitting pack that doesn't move when scrambling. It did lead me to the Lowe Alpine Fuse 20 though which seems cheap at £15 on blacks. Think I'm going to just buy that, half the price of anything else and have good experiences of Lowe Alpine packs.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:58 pm

Not really sure what you're after, are you looking to have a wee pack that you can carry with you on multi day thru hikes to allow you to dump your big pack and go do a summit?.

I have an exped cloudburst 25 that is very light and packable, it's basically a dry bag with the straps your after. Not support or anything, and hard items will dig into you, but that's the reality of a pack that packs down all.

Alpkit used to do the gourdon, which was very similar, I'm assuming they may still do it.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby nathan79 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:00 pm

As mentioned by AyrshireAlps the Alpkit Gourdon might suit your needs. 20, 25 or 30L versions on offer. You can use it as a drybag in your big sack until you need it as a pack. Has some back support, and the 20 and 30L versions have mesh side pockets.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Fiona Reid » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:35 pm

Decathlon Cliff if you can manage with 20l?

See https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/climbing-backpack-20-litres-cliff-20/_/R-p-7618

Great wee sack, chest and waist strap. It's designed for climbing and can take a fair amount of weight. We've one each and despite a lot of abuse they are still going strong.
The Cliff has minimal padding etc so easy to pack and weighs just 265g.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:37 am

I used to have the Osprey pack sack but there was no structure, it was flimsy and no real functionality. There was no support and anything heavy (flask or water bottle) bounced around.

I got the Haglöfs LIM light 25ltr and extremely happy with this. Everything you want from a daypack that packs down small and goes inside your main pack. Structure, support, functionality, comfort, size etc.

Good luck with your choice.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Scottk » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:58 am

I have the fuse 20 and it’s ok but no use for me on the hills as it only has the main compartment and I don’t use a hydration bladder.
The osprey one is very handy as it folds to the size of an apple but as you said, no structure. Great for a bag sightseeing, shopping etc but not for hiking.
The one I use for summer days is a Deuter speed lite 20. Folds flat and weighs about a pound or 450g. Our one is about 8 years old and was used for my daughters climbing gear and now for short hill days.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk