walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Salomon Quest 4D GTX

Salomon Quest 4D GTX

Postby abclare » Mon May 03, 2021 8:22 am

I love these boots. Out of the box they were comfortable and fit my feet so well - I have a broad forefoot and narrow heel. My first pair was bought in July 2017, replaced by Salomon after contacting them in August 2019 as they’d started to leak quite significantly. I know some folks seem to accept that fabric boots will leak but they really shouldn’t.

I was provided with a voucher for the original value and sadly, having lived in Aberdeen long enough to be considered an Aberdonian, bought the brown pair in the sale as they were covered. I’d have had to shell out some of my own hard earned cash to get a more attractive colour. A word of warning for anyone faced with this issue in future - Salomon will only provide a new warranty if you pay for the replacement; this can be £10, but you need to pay.

Fast forward to April 2021 and the boots ‘bought’ in October 2019 have seen very little wear due to Covid and have now split. I’m gutted, not least because they’re the comfiest boots I’ve ever had.

C9F7A879-676E-406A-9EE7-3E22D01BB913.jpeg

4457AA7C-0485-49D2-AB7B-6228D0C10BED.jpeg

4C4E63A6-1F12-4EB6-9116-191A4C169D32.jpeg

Salomon won’t replace them as they say the original warranty has expired. They’ll give me 20% discount through their mail website. At £180 for a new pair pre-discount I’m not willing to go down this road again.

I know I need to go for a boot fitting to see what’s on offer as an alternative but just wondered if anyone can suggest a good alternative or brands to avoid? Where has the best range of women’s boots? Having been stuck in the city forever I’d not be averse to a wee road trip to source a new pair.
abclare
Walker

Munros:196   Corbetts:22
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:67   

Re: Salomon Quest 4D GTX

Postby Gareth Harper » Tue May 04, 2021 5:59 pm

I tried a pair of those but I found they pinched me in the arch. I also have feet which are broad at the fore foot and narrow at the heel.

But anyway, yeah, I’ve struggled for years to find boots that really fit well. Eventually I heard of Altberg https://www.altberg.co.uk/

They do a number of lasts. I have two pairs, the first pair I bought is the Tethera which is made with their standard last which comes in half sized and five widths – I went for the wide version.

Later I decided to get another pair, and as I felt my heel was just a little loose in the Tethera I decided to go with the Nordkapp boot, which is essentially the same boot but in their A-Forme last – which is broad at the fore foot with a narrow heel. Perfect.

Both pairs work well for me. They are sturdy three season leather boots and have lasted well. And if looked after should be good for a resole or two. They are much stiffer then the Quest 4D but once broken in I find them very comfortable.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Scottk » Tue May 04, 2021 11:35 pm

I too loved my Salomon (ultra mid gtx) but had too many which leaked. Three pairs last year within 100 miles on each. The warranty is good but it’s too much hassle.
I have just got some inov8 g400 roclite pro (the name is something like that) and they are like slippers out of the box, really light and wide at the front but close at the heel. They might suit you if you can get a pair-it took me a few months to find stock. They are about £200 but inov8 give you 10% off through the website.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby teaandpies » Wed May 05, 2021 10:32 pm

Get some flexible glue in there and it'll be fine :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:6

Postby KatB » Mon May 10, 2021 1:13 pm

I looked at the new Salomons last month having loved their boots in the past, but was put off by numerous negative reviews. With my existing boots leaking, no shops yet open, and a munro ascent on the horizon, I took a risk and bought a pair of Salewa mountain trainer GTX from Tiso online (last seasons colour, so in the sale too). They have since completed several flattish hikes as test walks, and several sub200's, a Graham and the planned munro.
They are quite narrow fitting, but I like the foot security that gives, and the more rigid sole has taken a bit of getting used to (first pair of 'serious' boots), but I have to say I absolutely love them.
KatB
Walker

Munros:51   Corbetts:3
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:3

Postby Joey » Mon May 10, 2021 1:56 pm

I replied to another user who was looking for recommendations on boots. My Meindl Bhutan boots are brilliant. I'm on my second pair, which are now coming up for three years old and still going strong. I've also got a wide front foot and a bunion and they fit perfectly and feet blister free from the get go. They've been through all sorts of terrain/rivers/snow/bogs and still keep my feet bone dry. I apply wax every so often to keep them tip top. The heel is starting to wear down and I plan to get a third pair for a trekking holiday in November. Good luck with your search - it's an expensive pain when you find a pair that fit well, but fall apart.
Joey
Mountain Walker

Munros:66   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   

Postby Gareth Harper » Mon May 10, 2021 6:52 pm

I had a pair of Meindl Borneo which I understand is the same as the Bhutan. My first pair was a size 8 which had plenty of room for my wide fore foot, but I found my heel slipping and foot rolling on steep slopes. So once I worse those out I tried that size 7.5 and laced the front loose, but while they held my ankle they squeezed my toes.

They are really good boots, really comfortable and pretty hard wearing, just they wouldn’t fit me. I wouldn’t describe them as a wide fit, though Meindl do make wide versions of their boots but it is very hard to find any shops in the UK that stock them.

So yeah, now got basically three pairs of boots on the go. Altberg Tethera in wide fit, Altberg Nordkapp in A-forme fit (perfect fit for me) and my old Scarpa SL in wide fit for crampon use.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby abclare » Tue May 11, 2021 7:10 am

Thanks for your replies. Thus far, shoo goo has won (thanks to abbruce for fixing them). I will get out and have a look soon, just need to work up to it! :lol:
abclare
Walker

Munros:196   Corbetts:22
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:67   

Postby Sspaterson » Wed May 12, 2021 5:24 pm

Watching with interest as I just noticed a slight split in my Quests. I think there is always a risk of splits and leaks in anything other that a single piece leather boot. That's what I was always told and it makes logical sense. My first pair of boots were leather Trezetas. They were like slippers but never leaked and were never horribly stiff.

I wear Quest 4Ds now as they are extremely comfortable but I don't think they are made to last like they once were. Same with Keens. I'll be checking out Altbergs if and when I finally get another pair, and possibly Lowa too.

I struggle with stiff boots as my feet are very bendy (hyper mobility) and I get cramp in my toes if I can't bend them.
Sspaterson

Munros:207   Corbetts:13
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:38

Postby emjga » Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:48 pm

I also have had issues with Salomon Quest 4D GTX

I original had a Salomon Quest 3D GTX , bought very many years ago but finally gave up the go.
They must have been 5 or 6 years old , if not longer.

Bought a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX Dec 2019 which where Brown.
They had badly split July 2021

Bought from Craigdon in Inverurie
They had no issue with replacing them for the newer version 2021 model.

As Salomon do have a 2 year warranty on there boot.

They are a very comfy boot's but not quite sure I would buy another pair.
Quality seems to have gone down hill in recent years.
emjga
Walker

Munros:113   Corbetts:9
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3

Postby shinenotburn » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:06 pm

Joey wrote:I replied to another user who was looking for recommendations on boots. My Meindl Bhutan boots are brilliant. I'm on my second pair, which are now coming up for three years old and still going strong. I've also got a wide front foot and a bunion and they fit perfectly and feet blister free from the get go. They've been through all sorts of terrain/rivers/snow/bogs and still keep my feet bone dry. I apply wax every so often to keep them tip top. The heel is starting to wear down and I plan to get a third pair for a trekking holiday in November. Good luck with your search - it's an expensive pain when you find a pair that fit well, but fall apart.

Sent mine back to Bramwell International and for £85 came back with new rand, sole, laces and footbeds having been all the way to Germany and back in four weeks. May not be super trendy but if they fit they are good for pretty much everything outside winter.
shinenotburn
Mountaineer

Munros:212   Corbetts:16
Fionas:7   Donalds:27
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk