walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

And my next question....walking poles

Re: And my next question....walking poles

Postby calicoshmalico » Thu May 20, 2021 8:22 pm

I once spent a wad on a good Leki pole with the intention of buying another, I didn't have a lot of money at the time.
I proceeded to leave said pole hanging on a fence a fair way up Ben Challum and there was no way I was going back up for it. Only realised when I got back down to the railway crossing. Doofus!
Anyway after that I bought a pair of cheap poles (Karrimor) from Sports Direct cost me £20.
I thought they'll do for now and I'll get better ones later, that was about 6 years ago :lol:
They may not be high tech carbon poles with clips developed by NASA, but they do the job they were designed for, they don't feel heavy when I'm walking or carrying them, and they only cost £20
I never used to use poles at all when I was younger but as I'm getting on a bit now they're with me on every hike.
No gear snob here.
calicoshmalico
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   Islands:6

Postby owen » Tue May 25, 2021 10:55 am

I bought Pacerpoles years ago after having a couple of other pole sets .They are just the best and have trekked the Pyrenees ,Mallorca and the Vanoise Alps with them as well as all my walking in the uk.Would not use any other now .Simply the best .
owen
Mountain Walker

Postby St Pedro » Thu May 27, 2021 7:57 pm

another pacer pole fan here, would not be without them
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Postby davekeiller » Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:11 pm

Having tried them, I don't recommend the alpkit poles. There's a design flaw in the locking mechanism which means that they keep collapsing in use.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:50 pm

We have a set of cheapo carbon Sprayway poles (£15 in a sale!) and they are brilliantly light and work, with a reasonable handle.
I also have a set of Vango Camino's. Heavier than the carbon sprayway, the shock absorber is a gimmick, but they work and have done for a good few hills. Also £cheapness from a shop i was passing.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk