walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

And my next question....walking poles

And my next question....walking poles

Postby Joey » Sun May 09, 2021 3:49 pm

Anyone got suggestions for walking poles? They need to be able to take a pounding, comfortable to hold, robust but lightweight, packable and that I can quickly fold and unfold. I don’t like the twist mechanism, prefer clip. I’ve been looking at the aluminium collapsible ones, but they look a bit flimsy - look like the could buckle easily?

In terms of budget I was thinking c£80 ish, but don’t mind paying more if a pair comes highly recommended. I’m trying to buy a bit of gear every payday between now and November :lol: :lol:

Thanks again!
Joey
Mountain Walker

Munros:66   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   

Re: And my next question....walking poles

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun May 09, 2021 5:09 pm

Black Diamond Trail Pro and Trail Trek both fall within that budget and are pretty decent. I've had both but would probably stick with the Trail Trek as I don't really see any advantage of the higher end ones other than they're a bit lighter. I only needed a second set because I didn't clean them and they seized up after I left them for too long.

Leki seem to be good but I haven't owned a pair.

You're right to avoid any with the twist locks as they gunk up and stop working quite easily.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Joey » Sun May 09, 2021 8:56 pm

iain_atkinson_1986 wrote:Black Diamond Trail Pro and Trail Trek both fall within that budget and are pretty decent. I've had both but would probably stick with the Trail Trek as I don't really see any advantage of the higher end ones other than they're a bit lighter. I only needed a second set because I didn't clean them and they seized up after I left them for too long.

Leki seem to be good but I haven't owned a pair.

You're right to avoid any with the twist locks as they gunk up and stop working quite easily.

Thanks Iain, they look ideal.
Joey
Mountain Walker

Postby pww235 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:44 am

I picked up a pair of Black Diamond Trail Trekking poles from Tiso last weekend and have fallen in love with them.

Previously I'd had a super cheap pole from Go Outdoors and never used them due to weight and faff - it was twist lock.

Definitely get what you pay for. Bonus is the Black Diamond ones are a burnt orange colour which is my favourite.
pww235

Munros:25   
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Jon and Jen » Mon May 10, 2021 7:21 am

I have a pair of the fit life carbon fibre poles. £34 for the pair and with more end attatchments than you can shake a stick at. Highly recommend these.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184801978204?hash=item2b070e675c:g:nnkAAOSw5NZgNQv2
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon May 10, 2021 8:32 am

Get a stick! A wooden one. Off a tree. When I was a regular on the Lairig Ghru I would take a stick from Braemar to Aviemore or vice-versa and leave it leaning on a tree at the other end. On more than one occasion I found a stick leaning there, left by some other traveller. Once I even handed a stick on to another man as he set out. Sticks are traditional - been used since the Dawn of Time - free, eco-friendly, biodegradeable and you can burn them as firewood if you get stuck. Also you wont be too downhearted if you lose it.

stick#1#p.jpg
"These sticks are great. Look at my stick. I'm going to call him 'Sticky' "

Charlton-Heston-as-Moses#p.jpg
"You can get them in the woods over there..."

stick2#p.jpg
"Some of them are THIS big!"
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Gareth Harper » Mon May 10, 2021 6:58 pm

I have a pair of Black Diamond flip lock aluminium poles that I used for about ten years – replaced the tips once. Really good poles and flip lock is much much better than the twist lock.

Recently went daft and purchased a pair of Leki carbon fibre poles, was seduced by the lack of weight, and being the new type with the cable through the centre they pack down much better than the older aluminium poles. Don’t think they will last as long as long as my old Black Diamonds but we will see – so far so good.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby brpro26 » Mon May 10, 2021 8:58 pm

Karrimor Carbon Anti Shock Poles. Get them online with or without antishock from Sportsdirect £40 or £35
Can't fault them and cheap enough. Have served me well.
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Joey » Mon May 10, 2021 10:22 pm

Thanks everyone, really helpful. Think I will go with the Black Diamond poles!
Joey
Mountain Walker

Postby weaselmaster » Tue May 11, 2021 10:47 pm

Always worth checking out what Lidl are doing. A couple years back they had excellent poles that were basically Leki copies but £15.99 instead of £150. I’ve been using them for 2 years and rate them as good as my previous Lekis. My companion got herself a pair of the new design Alpkit folding ones which seem really good and sturdy, fold down small for scrambling and were £34 for a pair
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby abbruce » Thu May 13, 2021 10:23 am

Keep an eye on Sportpursuit too. I got a pair of Leki carbon ones from there a couple of years ago. Think they were around £70 instead of £140.

They only have cheap heavy ones at the moment as far as I can see.
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Joey » Thu May 13, 2021 11:03 am

Thanks everyone - much appreciated!
Joey
Mountain Walker

Postby walkingpoles » Fri May 14, 2021 3:21 pm

The black diamond ones come in a version for women and one for men. If you happen to be taller than 180cm, take the men ones.

I managed to break one (could fix it myself), and one got unusable after getting too much of a mud/water treatment after which I didn't clean them. I still buy them, they're great.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby davekeiller » Sat May 15, 2021 10:49 am

I've had a pair of Leki Makalu for the past 15 years. Lasted well and been everywhere, but the twist lock seems to be on its way out, so I'm thinking of treating myself to a pair of Alpkit ones.
There's less adjustment (110-130cm) but I find that I'm almost always within this range, and they pack down short which is good for stashing then on the side of a pack.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby St Pedro » Tue May 18, 2021 12:38 pm

would not be without my Pacer poles - my most important bit of kit

ergonomic handle - perfect
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk