walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Prescription hillwalking glasses

Prescription hillwalking glasses

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Sun May 09, 2021 8:28 pm

Hi folks,

I usually wear glasses but tend not to on the hills just in case I crunch them/the general faff of them when the weather turns or steaming up when it's roasting. My short distance eyesight is fine for but it'd good to be able to pick out paths etc from much further away than I can just now.

Anybody have experience of ordering prescription glasses that are robust enough for hills? I've seen some sites that do them but not sure if there's one supplier that's better than others etc.

Cheers
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Prescription hillwalking glasses

Postby Joey » Sun May 09, 2021 8:36 pm

I got Specsavers to put prescription lenses into my Oakley’s. They’re sunglasses, but you could get clear instead of tinted if you prefer. I use them for hillwalking and skiing. They’re a wraparound style and don’t fall off. It was a few years ago and can’t remember how much it was, but wouldn’t have been horrific. Still going strong!
Joey
Mountain Walker

Munros:66   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   

Postby Joey » Sun May 09, 2021 8:37 pm

In fact they are on top of my head in my profile pic!! But hard to see :lol: :lol:
Joey
Mountain Walker

Munros:66   Corbetts:8

Postby Marty_JG » Mon May 10, 2021 5:39 am

Definitely Oakey. They're designed for sportspeople, etc., so stay on.

Some of their lenses are very resistant to the sun, designed for Australian cricketers or airline pilots, but others are very good in low light. I got lenses that were designed for mountain bikers where the design spec was the rider can go from a sunny day into a dark forest canopy at speed and so unable to change eyewear. As such I can pretty much wear them into the early night. (For my model of frames, they were a "Bronze" tint - your mileage may vary).

Oakley website used to be superb for information.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby jmarkb » Mon May 10, 2021 7:52 am

I have always just kept my previous everyday pair for hillwalking and other outdoor sports - my prescription has only changed very slowly, so using an old pair works fine for me. These days, though, unless the forecast is very good, I wear disposable contacts to avoid all the misting/icing up problems.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby davekeiller » Mon May 10, 2021 6:03 pm

I've got a pair of BBB cycling sunglasses with interchangeable lenses and a removable insert for prescription lenses.
Works for me, although they can be a bit tunnel vision-y.
Otherwise, either keep your previous pair or get them reglazed. Online reglazing services have worked well for me.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby brpro26 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:09 pm

Just get a pair of cheap "hill" specs from Asda £45 or Glasses Direct. When it rains I usually wear a cap which has a long beak on it which keeps the rain off the windows.
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue May 11, 2021 9:40 am

24 years hillwalking/backpacking/cycling with normal specs,i never had a problem, the chances of something happening to them is quite slim since there on your head and out the way, just carry the case for them in case you decide to take them off.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Veryhappybunny » Thu May 27, 2021 7:21 am

I just wear my normal glasses and have done for decades with few problems.

However I did once have a light weight pair blow off on a very windy day once, which didn’t do them much good, so now either take them off if it is very breezy or use a behind the head thing to secure them.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk