walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Shorts and Hiking Boots Combo

Shorts and Hiking Boots Combo

Postby Goat Peter » Sun May 09, 2021 9:59 pm

I always wear long trouser when I'm out hiking, however, for low level walks in the summer I am considering wearing shorts with my hiking boots. The big question is how do you keep stones and twigs etc getting into the top of your boots ? Does anyone use trail gaiters (such as the Alpkit Kantju) to keep stuff out of the top of their boots ? Are trail gaiters even big enough to go over a boot ? Will a turned up pair of socks offer enough protection or do folks not tend to bother with anything at all ?
Goat Peter
Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:3   

Re: Shorts and Hiking Boots Combo

Postby simon-b » Sun May 09, 2021 10:17 pm

Short gaiters do work OK. I use the old Rab short eVent ones, but I don't think they make them any more. But I find they work well with boots and shorts, and I guess there will be other similar models of short gaiter on the market now (I'm not familiar with the brand you mention, other forum members could advise).One other point about shorts in summer, be wary of ticks! I've risked it and got away with it at all altitudes in warm weather, but getting a tick would not be good news.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Shorts and Hiking Boots Combo

Postby Scottk » Sun May 09, 2021 10:53 pm

Depends on the size of boots. I have mid boots and dirty girl gaiters work very well to keep out grit and heather. Also work with trainers.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk