walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin Data Reporting

Garmin Data Reporting

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun May 16, 2021 5:04 pm

I hope l can pick the brains of the knowledgeable people in this group. I am new to Garmin, having used Suunto for years. A few months ago l purchase a Garmin Instinct Solar. a. Because l wanted to try Garmin and b. I was interested in the solar charging.

I digress.

Since I've had it, I've found 2 related anomalies that are bugging me and wonder if anyone else has the same issues or understands the data reporting better than me :roll:

1a. When l exercise l can see a peak HR of e.g. 140bpm but when l complete my exercise and look at the summary in the watch, the max HR reads e.g. 128bpm. The few seconds it reached 140 bpm are not reported on the watch.
1b. Later when l look at Garmin connect, the 140bpm is not reported on the graph for the exercise.
2. When l look back at the daily totals in Garmin connect, the daily total can have another different max HR for the day e.g. 125bpm

Am l dreaming or is Garmin a bit "rounding" in there figures? One explanation l have considered is that it only saves data where the bpm was achieved for more than e.g. 3 seconds, but surely this would be dangerous to omit the fact l reached 140bpm.

Sorry for the garggled description, l hope you get the point.

Thanks in advance.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Re: Garmin Data Reporting

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon May 17, 2021 9:26 am

I've never witnessed this, but tbh I don't really pay much attention to my HR during exercise. I like to keep my easy runs in zone 2, which for me is sub 140bpm, but I know what pace keeps me there and can feel it too.

The wrist HR monitor is too unreliable during activity, it's fine for monitoring resting HR, but activity seems to expose issues. I use a separate chest HR monitor if I want reliable data. This is on a Vivoactive 4 btw, but I've ordered an Instinct solar.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk