walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Hammock

Hammock

Postby guyver » Tue May 25, 2021 10:54 am

Anyone use a hammock on any of trails or is the not enough wooded areas for it to be practical?
guyver
Backpacker

Re: Hammock

Postby jmarkb » Tue May 25, 2021 3:15 pm

You would certainly need to plan carefully to make sure there were trees everywhere you wanted to stop. You would also need to consider protection against wind, rain, and midges!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu May 27, 2021 8:11 am

I've seen them used to advantage in the woods of Glen Derry, where the ground is unsuitable for camping due to the tree roots. A tarp is slung from a rope suspended above the hammock, and the sleeper wears a midgie hood. Sounds awful to me but some swear by it. [I'll bet they do - I bet they say [expletives deleted] all bloody night!] :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby onsen » Thu May 27, 2021 10:48 pm

You can go to ground in them if traversing treeless terrain....similar to a bivi bag & tarp/ solo tent setup. Obviously not as comfy. You just have to plan ahead.

Add a pad & sheet for ground insulation & use your walking poles for hanging the tarp & for keeping the sewn in bugnet out of your face.

It's doable. Depends on how hardcore a hammocker you are. :wink:

I've hung from rocky summits, overhangs, caves, under bridges, single tree to car/motorcycle etc etc but I've also gone to ground ( no other choice) in sandy treeless desert nation parks....you just have get flexible & creative.

On exposed terrain with frieght train winds or horizontal rain...occasionally, easier & safer to take a tent. Heresy, I know. :shock:
onsen
Munro compleatist

Postby Pastychomper » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:30 pm

I've done it in the north (not on any well-known-trail). There are a lot of little plantations and copses around so it's usually possible to find some hanging space with a bit of planning.

I find sleeping in a hammock is less effective but more fun than sleeping on the ground, so I pitched on the ground Onsen-style when I fancied a flat bed. It helps to have a tarp with a lot of loops sewn on.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk