walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

OS Locate

OS Locate

Postby JeanetteKS » Mon May 31, 2021 9:26 pm

Hi everyone, OS Locate stopped working for me for a few hours yesterday, on my way back from An Soach. Perfect visibility so it wasn't a problem but I like to check I'm where I think I am even in good weather. Did others experience this too? Turning my phone off and on again didn't help...but it's fine again today. Have never had a problem before... thanks, Jeanette
JeanetteKS
Mountaineer

Re: OS Locate

Postby mmm_biscuit » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:58 pm

Hi Jeanette

The most likely explanation is that your phone was trying (and failing) to use the mobile signal to get a location, rather than using GPS. The easy fix for this (somewhat counterintuitively) is to turn on airplane mode. That will force your phone to use GPS to find its location. Airplane mode also makes your battery last longer when out on the hill :thumbup:

The other possibility is that you never stopped moving (!) and your phone wasn't able to get a fix. I think that's less of a problem on most phones - but some GPS units (eg my old Garmin Etrex) need to be stationary for a couple of minutes to get a fix.

Hope that helps.
mmm_biscuit
Mountain Walker

Munros:275   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby JeanetteKS » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:53 pm

Thanks, I should have said, it was on airplane mode, and I was still!
JeanetteKS
Mountaineer

Postby gld73 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:18 pm

That happened several times with me when I had OS Locate on my phone - with no settings changed, it would sometimes just not give a location. I ended up removing the app as the problem got more frequent :( One of the times I was walking with someone and it was working fine with his phone but not with mine half way through the walk, so maybe it was just my phone...
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby AyrshireAlps » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:19 pm

Probably a phone fault, or a software update required or the likes
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:39 am

I seen on Twitter last night that some Android devices were struggling with OS Locate. Have you got the most recent version on your phone?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby mmm_biscuit » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:54 pm

I should have said, it was on airplane mode, and I was still!

So much for my troubleshooting skills :-D

As others have said it's beginning to sound like some sort of software problem, or the app just doesn't like your model of phone.

It might be worth trying a different app to see if that works for you. I use Viewranger - although they've been taken over by OutdoorActive I think you can still install the Viewranger app. It can give you an OS grid ref for your location amongst other things. You need to change a couple of display settings - change grid to Great Britain, and coord-type to National Grid - then from the map view, tap the compass to get your location, and the grid ref appears top left of the screen.
mmm_biscuit
Mountain Walker

Munros:275   Corbetts:8
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   

Postby JeanetteKS » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:12 pm

Thanks everyone, my (Android) phone was new this year so it's probably something sbout the version/updates, so I'll try downloading Viewranger as an alternative, thanks for the replies and help, Jeanette
JeanetteKS
Mountaineer

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:07 am

Android updates are a bit of a nightmare, as there are so many different versions on different makes of phone, and sometimes they get released suddenly so App providers struggle to keep up. This has caused occasional issues with my OS Maps app, but I haven't had any problems with Locate before. On my work iPhone, I've never had, and rarely heard of, issues. I always try to update my personal Android before a trip, and then test OS Maps/Locate before I go.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:02 pm

Wasn't getting GPS via OS Maps or Locate on my ancient HTC M8 yesterday. It's been my go-to for navigation since 2016 and never failed so far so hopefully it's not goosed. Thankfully I had my day-to-day phone and Garmin watch which were both fine.

I had switched to Viewranger for a while and preferred it but I couldn't get my OS Maps after it merged with that new thing.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Coop » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:25 pm

Could have been a military exercise. Theres been one recently where signals have been jammed in certain areas
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk