walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Bivy Bag

Bivy Bag

Postby Mountain Mike » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:53 pm

I considering a bivy bag for a hoped for trip to Scotland later in the summer - just in case the bothies are either full or still closed.
Can anyone offer any recommendations please? Thanks
Mountain Mike
Wanderer

Re: Bivy Bag

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:42 pm

The most important recommendation I can think of is: consider the midges. I've bivvied only once in Scotland, and that was early in the season (early June I think), and it was on the top of Sgurr nan Eag; so: cool in the night. I guess bivvying in Scotland after mid-May may be doable with a fine mesh top, but I haven't tried it - and frankly wouldn't dare. Even if there's a breeze and no midges when you go to sleep, I'd guess there's every chance the wind could drop during the night. I'd rather carry the extra 900gm of tent weight (I have a superlight 200gm bivvy bag).
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Marty_JG » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:31 am

Cheap light tent.

A freestanding option, Naturehike Cloud-Up 1, 1.3kg, £66

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001865801030.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.35fb2563BJUb13

LanShan1 is a good option if you use trekking poles.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:33 am

Alpkit do some decent bivvy bags, think it's the Hunka they call it. I've got the lighter version still, the Kloke.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby rgf101 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:00 am

Take a tent. I have a bivvy bag and love it, but I only use it when I'm guaranteed no midges and no rain. The weight savings are minimal, especially if you factor in a tarp to keep the rain off.

Otherwise, I second the recommendation for Alpkit stuff.
rgf101

Postby Mal Grey » Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:30 am

Agree with everything above.

I have an Alpkit Hunka and its very good for the money (go for the XL if you're over about 5' 10"), but has no mesh hood or anything.

However, I would not bivvy in Scotland between June & Sept, other than perhaps for a summit camp, due to the possibility of horrendous midges.
Even down in Surrey I tend to use a mesh freestanding inner tent in summer, as I hate working up to find insect bites all over my face!

I have a Six Moon Designs Lunar solo which only weighs about 700g when used with a trekking pole, and packs almost as small as my Hunka. The LanShan 1 mentioned above is basically a copy of it. Since tents like this appeared, I don't bivvy often, though I do love sleeping just under a tarp when there are no midges about.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk