walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Simple GPS tracker

Simple GPS tracker

Postby AntHart » Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:32 am

Hi there!
New to the forum :) hope everyone is well and happy to start getting back out and about!

I’m looking to do ‘my first’ long solo walk , potentially the Ribble way over 4ish days.
As I’m going solo this time and leaving a concerned girlfriend at home I’ve said I’d get a tracker so she can use either her android tablet(preferred) or our windows laptop so she can login and see where I am..that I’m moving..etc etc real time or every minute updates would be preferable.
She’s a worrier bless her :)

I’ve seen the garmin in reach type devices but not sure that’s what’s it’s designed for only having a 50hr battery (claimed)..that seems more of a check in device than a real time tracker??? Not sure..

I could use my phone with an app to let her track it but for multiple days not ideal

What I’m really after is an always on gps unit that can last about a week between charging, gives updates every minute or less… simple to use app to track that works on an android tablet

Be great to hear some advice and products to check out! 👍🏼
Cheers
Ant
AntHart
Backpacker

Re: Simple GPS tracker

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:17 am

I don't have one but I've seen "Spot / Find me spot" mentioned various times. Think you need to buy the unit then pay a regular subscription for services - higher the spec of services, higher the cost

https://www.findmespot.com/en-gb/
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby davekeiller » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:00 pm

What you're asking for is a smartphone!
Constant tracking is simply unnecessary - she's not going to sit continuously for 4 days tracking your progress, and you're not likely to walk for more than 10 hours each day anyway. The most sensible option is probably to text at various known points once or twice per day.
If signal is good enough, you can check in with an app on a smartphone, but this requires a data connection. Texting will be more reliable.
This also has the advantage of being essentially free - you probably already have a smartphone, and probably get unlimited texts.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:59 pm

You can always use a smartphone (Android or iOS) and Google's very own Real Time Location Sharing

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7326816

You will need phone reception and Mobile Data switched on.

Also go into Google Maps app and click Offline Maps and download as much as you can, you can get vast areas at a time. This will stop Google Maps burning through your data in the field.

Your "home base" will now be able to ping you from their phone or computer. Just read the Google link.

- - -

EDIT : GPS units are a blessing but they are GPS receivers, not broadcasters! To make "calls" you need Satellite functionality. This is not cheap. Garmin's "In Reach" series does 10 minute tracking intervals for non-professional use, or 2 minute intervals for Expeditions.

https://discover.garmin.com/en-GB/inreach/personal/
https://www.garmin.com/en-GB/c/outdoor-recreation/satellite-communicators/
https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/561269

But you're looking at £450 plus Satellite Data fees.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby AntHart » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:48 am

davekeiller wrote:What you're asking for is a smartphone!
Constant tracking is simply unnecessary - she's not going to sit continuously for 4 days tracking your progress, and you're not likely to walk for more than 10 hours each day anyway. The most sensible option is probably to text at various known points once or twice per day.
If signal is good enough, you can check in with an app on a smartphone, but this requires a data connection. Texting will be more reliable.
This also has the advantage of being essentially free - you probably already have a smartphone, and probably get unlimited texts.

Hi there, thanks for your reply.

I understand that my girlfriend isn’t going to sit there for days tracking me but if I’m in an area with no signal whatsoever hence can’t text or my phone isn’t able to ‘send out a signal’ then that idea makes no sense.
A LOT of national parks in the UK have no signal at all so I thought I could use a small gps like a dog tracker or even a car tracker to do this, I didn’t realise that method wouldn’t be suitable.
So… what are my options if relying on having phone signal isn’t an option and I want her to know where I am?
There has to be something in 2021 that allows her to track my progress from home without needing a smart phone… yes, it might be pricey and not make sense to others but for us it’s vital.
Spending money on something that can alert someone if there’s a problem in an emergency or even for just tracking progress in my opinion is not just a gadget or bit of tech it’s priceless if my life depended on it.

Cheers 👍🏼
AntHart
Backpacker

Postby AntHart » Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:53 am

Marty_JG wrote:You can always use a smartphone (Android or iOS) and Google's very own Real Time Location Sharing

You will need phone reception and Mobile Data switched on.

Also go into Google Maps app and click Offline Maps and download as much as you can, you can get vast areas at a time. This will stop Google Maps burning through your data in the field.

Your "home base" will now be able to ping you from their phone or computer. Just read the Google link.

- - -

EDIT : GPS units are a blessing but they are GPS receivers, not broadcasters! To make "calls" you need Satellite functionality. This is not cheap. Garmin's "In Reach" series does 10 minute tracking intervals for non-professional use, or 2 minute intervals for Expeditions.

But you're looking at £450 plus Satellite Data fees.

That’s a good option thanks!
I’m not looking to talk or text, I just want her to be able to track where I am on a map. I also want the option of a big red button to press if I get in to trouble and my life depended on it (bit over the top yes for a well trodden path but it’s more for the reasons I can’t think of that I want it.

Cheers
AntHart
Backpacker

Postby Marty_JG » Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:40 am

In that case, the cheaper (but not cheap) small and lighter unit the inReach Mini might be of interest.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/p/592606

Garmin are out of stock (at £300) but Amazon have them in stock for £275.

It has some limited routing functions but no maps, but it does give you weather updates (if you want), SOS, messaging, and track & share.

Battery life (1250mAh) is dependent on how frequently it pings location. If you set it to every half hour it'll last 24 days on a single charge. That drops to 4 days if you set it to every 10 minutes (the default). Of course you should turn it off at night to save battery, and you can take a battery bank with you to recharge in the field, there are some TINY ones out there.

A word to the wise though, I have (standard) Garmin and use and love it to bits, it's a BRUTAL learning curve. You'll need to install Garmin Express on a PC or Mac to update the Firmware, and the pair of you will need to get to grips with their Mapshare software. And it's always wise to read the online manuals as Garmin have a habit of updating them, so the ones in the box will be out of date (but still a good start) and reading everything in the support centre will give you heads-up of potential issues, some of which might be resolved.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby davekeiller » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:21 pm

Dog or vehicle trackers work by receiving a GPS signal to determine their position, and then using a mobile network to transmit that position. They work in most areas, although if you're somewhere without mobile signal they clearly won't work.

Frankly, you're never likely to be far enough from civilisation that you won't get mobile signal at all for very long in England. The most practical suggestion for what you're proposing is to send text messages at intervals.0 Location tracking using the built-in system in an iphone or android phone would also work, however this likely requires a data connection to work, meaning it will be less reliable. The (free) OSLocate app will send your location to someone in a text message should that be something you want to use.

If you don't have mobile signal, then you need to use something else to communicate your position. That something else is satellite phones. These are expensive at £300+ for the device plus a monthly subscription of £15+. The reason that they are expensive is that ordinary mobile phones are sufficiently reliable that it's a small market.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:46 am

I used the Garmin InReach Mini recently for the Cape Wrath Trail, but I didn't bother with tracking as that feature is on a more expensive plan and more demanding on the battery. I agreed with my partner I would message her first thing in the morning, 2-3 times during the day and once in the evening when I had stopped. I got 6 days use on one charge, but it was connected to my Instinct Solar watch for the first 2 days, so disabled that so the watch and InReach Mini lasted longer.

When my partner got a text, it comes with a link which showing her exactly where on the map I sent the message. Gave her great peace of mind. That was until the device failed, but I put that down to being unlucky.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk