walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Garmin InReach mini or...

Re: Garmin InReach mini or...

Postby davekeiller » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:00 am

I'm not trying to fault anyone for choosing to carry one of these devices.

What I'm suggesting is that people should do a risk assessment for themselves and make an informed decision as to whether the risk reduction is worth the financial outlay.

Doing something because "everyone else" does it, isn't a particularly strong argument in my book, especially when I'm not convinced that the "everyone" mentioned is actually a majority.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby davekeiller » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:14 am

Incidentally, the OP implied that they are just starting out backpacking. If that's the case, then they're probably dropping a fair chunk of change on backpacking kit. It might not be a bad idea to spread the cost by only buying what is actually needed for this trip and then buy additional items as and when the need arises.
As an example, on the WHW you can stay on organised campsites every night and fill your bottles with safe drinking water every morning. This means a water filter is unnecessary, so it's not worth buying one. Doesn't mean it's never going to be worth buying one though.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby malrc » Sun Jul 04, 2021 10:50 am

After a recent circuit of Mullardoch, I intend to purchase an InReach mini for my next trip as phone reception was non existent for full 3 days. This is one of the more remote parts of Scotland however and I agree with many that in most cases satellite Comms are not needed.

The InReach is for my wife's peace of mind though as she worries whether I'm ok. I wouldn't buy one for my own sake, but that isn't to say they don't have significant non-emergency utility for some.
malrc
Hill Bagger

Munros:48   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:20
Islands:3

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:08 pm

davekeiller wrote:As an example, on the WHW you can stay on organised campsites every night and fill your bottles with safe drinking water every morning.

Clean water? LOL with the honesty boxes its a trail littered with Mars Bars & Fanta. :lol:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Marty_JG » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:10 pm

davekeiller wrote:As an example, on the WHW you can stay on organised campsites every night and fill your bottles with safe drinking water every morning.

Clean water? LOL with the honesty boxes its a trail littered with Mars Bars & Fanta. :lol:

davekeiller wrote:I'm not trying to fault anyone for choosing to carry one of these devices.

To be clear I didn't think you were faulting anyone. Was just happy to chat back & forth with someone who knows their stuff and completely willing to change my mind if it comes to it. :thumbup:
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:38 am

davekeiller wrote:I remember going out hillwalking in the days when mobile phones were something of a rarity, and most people didn't have GPS either. Somehow we all managed to get home in one piece.

I remember cars without airbags and various other safety features and somehow we all managed to get home in one peice too.

It's all there's just in case, as would a PLB. You hope you never need to use it, but it's there in the event of emergency. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby scogem » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:34 pm

Thanks all who took the time to reply.

I am going to get a Garmin Inreach Mini. The functionality it provides does not appear to be built in to any of the Garmin watches.

I do not need for the West Highland Way and possibly not for my following trip. I will likely pick another fairly safe route. However, I plan to go abroad to somewhere unknown and would like one of these on me for my own peace of mind. I could get an injury and I had a heat related blood pressure issue a few years ago, could crop up again.

Cheers,
scogem
scogem
Backpacker

Munros:2   

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:45 pm

Fair enough.

But don't be a stranger, do write up some trip reports, in Scotland and out. We'd love to see how you get on. :-D
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Postby Scottk » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:04 am

The 2 options for tracking are Spot and the inreach. They both do tracking which folks at home can follow if they have the web address. I bought the inreach as my wife was getting worried and it is the only one which can send and receive messages. It does struggle in thick tree cover but during a recent trip, the messages always got through-albeit, sometimes later.
There are 3 preset messages which you can send an unlimited amount of. Mine are-starting out, finished for the day and checking in everything is fine. You can change them from a pc but not once you are out and about. I think I will change one to ‘running late but all ok’.
Depending on the subscription plan you go with, it will come with no messages, 40 messages and unlimited. I went with 40 messages as this also comes with unlimited tracking.
I was lucky as I got the garmin mini for £150. I don’t regret the purchase and have suspended the subscription for the moment.
The spot unit doesn’t do messages but there is no subscription costs.
The message count for the garmin is for sent and received! Best to set the unit up and have a trial run before your trip as you need to enter contacts etc before you go. It has an app on your phone which you can use to type messages.
I’m sure there is a company which rents these units if you wanted to try before purchasing.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk