walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Don't know where to start with waterproof for munro bagging?

Re: Don't know where to start with waterproof for munro bagg

Postby Low Level Walker » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:56 am

davy_ludo wrote:Also, if you're looking at buying a few items this year. Might be worth looking at mountaineering Scotland membership - £25 for first year and you get 15% discount in Cotswold and 10% in tiso and gooutdoors (as well as others).

I needed new boots, new jacket and wife needed a new bag. I've saved more than it cost in membership, and I've booked into a map reading course through Mountaineering Scotland as well.

Hi there. Is this definitely correct? I have a Mountaineering Scotland membership myself, I am aware of the Cotswold discount and discount for Osprey (online) but wasn't aware they had discounts applicable for Tiso or Go Outdoors?
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby Mal Grey » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:29 am

I have a Patagonia Torrentshell as a light packable shell and rate it very highly for the price. As with other Patagonia stuff, it is very well made and performs well. The only thing I can fault it on is that whilst the hood is well designed and offers good protection, if you cinch it really tightly there is slightly slippage of the elastics.

I wouldn't use it as my winter jacket, but for the rest of the year, its good.

Another vote for Berghaus Deluge trousers, the long zips are an essential as far as I'm concerned. They're nowhere near as breathable as the Torrentshell, but are tough and not too heavy. That's all I ask of overtrousers, as I hardly ever wear them.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Alex W » Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:43 am

Low Level Walker wrote:
davy_ludo wrote:Also, if you're looking at buying a few items this year. Might be worth looking at mountaineering Scotland membership - £25 for first year and you get 15% discount in Cotswold and 10% in tiso and gooutdoors (as well as others).

I needed new boots, new jacket and wife needed a new bag. I've saved more than it cost in membership, and I've booked into a map reading course through Mountaineering Scotland as well.

Hi there. Is this definitely correct? I have a Mountaineering Scotland membership myself, I am aware of the Cotswold discount and discount for Osprey (online) but wasn't aware they had discounts applicable for Tiso or Go Outdoors?

I can vouch for Tiso. They have given me discount many times on the strength of a MS membership.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby Low Level Walker » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:16 am

Alex W wrote:
Low Level Walker wrote:

I can vouch for Tiso. They have given me discount many times on the strength of a MS membership.

Excellent, thank you for confirming this. Good to know :D
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:16 pm

On a more general note re:waterpoof clothing for the hill, I've always been mindful of the late Martin Moran's observations on clothing in his book Scotland's Winter Mountains (1988):-

"Of all clothing items, the outer shell is by far the most important. Its quality should not be spared even if one is forced to wear a set of patched-up rags underneath."

Good advice in my experience, regardless of the season.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:16 pm

On a more general note re:waterpoof clothing for the hill, I've always been mindful of the late Martin Moran's observations on clothing in his book Scotland's Winter Mountains (1988):-

"Of all clothing items, the outer shell is by far the most important. Its quality should not be spared even if one is forced to wear a set of patched-up rags underneath."

Good advice in my experience, regardless of the season.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Thataway » Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:28 pm

Anyone got impressions of Alpkit overtrousers?
My Berghaus ones have given up this month and I need to find a replacement.
Alpkit sale is on, with their Parallax and Nautilus trousers at good prices.
Anyone use these?
Thataway
Wanderer

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:55 pm

One point that's worth considering: if you sweat heavily when you're working hard, and its raining reasonably hard such that the outer surface of your outer layer is covered in water, then no breathable fabric is going to be able to breathe - that's just the physics. I invariably end up damp/wet when it's raining due to condensation on the inside of my breathable waterproof.

I don't hear this often said, so I guess I must just be a sweaty b****r :D .
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby ScotFinn65 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:02 am

Alteknacker wrote:One point that's worth considering: if you sweat heavily when you're working hard, and its raining reasonably hard such that the outer surface of your outer layer is covered in water, then no breathable fabric is going to be able to breathe - that's just the physics. I invariably end up damp/wet when it's raining due to condensation on the inside of my breathable waterproof.

I don't hear this often said, so I guess I must just be a sweaty b****r :D .

I can testify to this also. I often choose to get wet from the outside rather than the inside during warmer shower weather. My shirt dries quickly and it is much more pleasant (less smelly :lol: ) getting a little rain than sweating buckets.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk