walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Don't know where to start with waterproof for munro bagging?

Don't know where to start with waterproof for munro bagging?

Postby beany_bot » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:57 pm

As title really. I have just started Munro climbing this year and I am loving it. So far I have had bluebird weather and 20+ degrees for every outing! :crazy: But I know Scotland well enough to know that won't last forever :lol:

Looking for advice on some lighweight waterproof/breathable gear that will fit in my backpack for those inclement days but also work well at keeping me dry.

I do buy some stuff on the cheap (I bought dirt cheap Decathlon t shirts and trousers to hike in) but when it comes to certain things like boots, waterproofs, compass. I am a firm beliver in you get what you pay for. Also there becomes a genuine safety concern as Autumn rolls in. Anyway, what I mean is I don't mind spending a bit of money (lets not go mad though! esspecially on the trousers). Happy to look second hand also. As for brands, I like Patagonias as a brand, their ethics and quality. But I don't have to buy that.

Also thoughts on a cheap poncho for warm summer rain in light winds?
beany_bot
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   

Re: Don't know where to start with waterproof for munro bagg

Postby davekeiller » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:47 pm

A poncho ain't going to work in Scotland!
They're designed for forests, and will quickly turn into a sail in a Scottish breeze.

Decide what your budget is first. There's no point in people recommending £250 jackets if the budget is £150. If you like Patagonia, then you could do worse than their Torrentshell which is about £160.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby beany_bot » Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:55 pm

davekeiller wrote:A poncho ain't going to work in Scotland!
They're designed for forests, and will quickly turn into a sail in a Scottish breeze.

Decide what your budget is first. There's no point in people recommending £250 jackets if the budget is £150. If you like Patagonia, then you could do worse than their Torrentshell which is about £160.

Thanks!

The only issue I find with saying a budget is people tend to try and spend that amount, even if something much cheaper is perfectly adequate. Eam I probably wouldn't spend over £200, unless told it's far superior, which is unlikely. But equally, I would love to spend less than £100! If it's good. I'm reading a lot of good things about the decathlon Quechua MH500 ? Only £70.
beany_bot
Mountain Walker

Postby prog99 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:30 pm

Tbh, if your happy with Decathlon then i'd stick with them. Their more 'technical' range is normally in the climbing section and is called Simond.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Scottk » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:06 am

I have lightweight montane pertex trousers which are great 3 season waterproofs and pretty reasonable but they are not robust. Mine are 4 years old and I need some new ones for next year but that suits me and is pretty cheap for the amount I walk. I have a few jackets depending on the season from mega light gore tex to heavy paramo for winter. Patagonia would be a good all rounder. Get one that fits you-decide if you need one to fit over a helmet, a wired peak, pit zips, full zip and type of pockets. This will help narrow the choice down.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:52 am

I'd recommend getting a Goretex jacket whatever the brand, though you'll likely have to spend at least £100. The Mountain Equipment Garwhal or similar would be worth looking at and you can get them for £150 or less if you shop around.

Features wise you'll probably want pockets over the ribs so you can wear the belt with your rucksack, pit zips to let out the heat and make sure the hood turns with your head.

For trousers, everybody seems to have had a pair of Berghaus Deluge. They're not too expensive but they're not the most breathable.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby rgf101 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:41 am

I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of Trespass gear and my standard hill jacket is something along these lines
https://www.trespass.com/danson-mens-dlx-waterproof-jacket#color_code=Black
(I got mine a few years back and can't see that model any more)

The one I have is decently technical, not too heavy, and it's kept the rain out when I've needed it to. I have a heavier-duty Keela Munro for the coldest walks, or if I'm expecting very foul weather (although to be honest, if I'm expecting very foul weather I probably stay home).

I've since got Trespass gaiters, a lightweight fleece and a (charity shop) softshell. The gaiters have done fine the half dozen times I've used them, the fleece and softshell get regular wear and I'd recommend. I think it's definitely decent entry-point stuff - it'll do the job it's meant to, and won't break the bank, but if you're going to be out there every weekend, spending a bit extra on something lighter or with more features (I miss pit-zips in the jacket, for example) might make sense.
rgf101

Postby Alex W » Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:26 am

Waterproofs spend a lot of time rolled up inside the pack. Whatever the reputation Scotland might have, you need waterproofs surprisingly seldom.

I have Berghaus Deluge overtrousers which serve well, but are a bit on the heavy side although robust and effective. I carry a Berghaus Paclite jacket which is light and good. I have a Mountain Equipment Rupal for days when I know it will be torrential - it's on the heavy side, but bomb proof.

Gore Tex is ubiquitous. After that it's about the features and positioning of things like pockets.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby beany_bot » Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:30 am

Just want to thank you all. This is really golden info! esspecially about weight and size. I guess you are right, most of the time you wont be wearing it.
beany_bot
Mountain Walker

Postby AspiringHiker » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:11 pm

Apart from goretex and similar fabrics, there are also generally overlooked OutDry and Shakedry fabrics from Columbia and Goretex. They have two, not three, layers and don't rely on DWR unlike all standard goretex style fabrics which in theory means they remain waterproof until you get holes in them. Have a look here: https://andrewskurka.com/review-gore-wear-h5-gore-tex-shakedry-jacket/

I've bought Columbia one as it was on discount, but I think the main difference is robustness of fabric with Goretex focusing on weight while Columbia has backpacking aimed models. So far, I haven't had any moisture either seeping through, nor captured sweat in the jacket. The latter was a constant problem with my cheap waterproof. However, I haven't had much too many opportunities for thorough testing.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Postby davekeiller » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:23 pm

So it sounds like the budget is about £100-£150, with a bit of flexibility at the top end if it's compelling.
There's plenty of choice on the market at that price point. Personally, I'd go with either Goretex Paclite or eVent, although pertex seems to be becoming popular and some of the own-brand membranes are quite reasonable.
If you can, pit zips are a feature to go for as they'll make the jacket less sweaty and more comfortable. Pockets and hoods are a matter of personal preference, so go for whatever suits you best.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:04 pm

I bought a Rab Downpour Eco from Cotswold recently for £100. It is a gem of a jacket - really comfy, very breathable, cut well and just *works* even in heavy rain.

I could split hairs about the pockets when it really rains, and the hood isn't *quite* as good as a couple of other jackets I have had, but really it is £100 for an all singing, lightweight hill jacket with good cut, fabric, pitzips and hood.

Oh, and I look like a traffic cone as it is grey and orange 8)
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby ryanhibs » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:07 pm

I’ve only started building up my kit, first purchase was decent boots, so I’ve made do with my golf waterproof trousers and jacket. It’s done the job so far until I invest in better kit.
ryanhibs
Hill Bagger

Munros:5   
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby davy_ludo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:50 am

Waterproofs are a minefield. I've used a few different jackets over the years - with varying degrees of success. Started with a regatta jacket, that kept me dry unless there was more than 45 minutes of sustained rain, then I ended up soaking. Replaced it with a trespass, same thing happened.

Moved onto a goretex jacket by sprayway, which I got from gooutdoors for just over £100 (cheaper performance, not pro version of goretex). This jacket has lasted me 10 years and really got me through some HORRENDOUS weather - only reason I replaced it this year..."someone" washed it with fabric softener and it's killed the breathability of it, I also slipped on rock and burst a big hole in the arm.

I spent a lot of time looking at jackets this year, read a lot of reviews on different jackets and waterproof technologies. Decided that I'd stick with goretex, purely just from good past experience (standard goretex, not pro again because pro is really expensive). Shopped around and got a Rab Kangri for £168 (trekitt website, but got Cotswold to price match). I was aiming for £150 but this jacket ticked all the boxes. I took it out for a test walk a few weeks ago - 2 hours of heavy rain and I was bone dry (other than my own sweat, but within a few minutes of stopping, the jacket had breathed out the excess moisture and I felt really comfortable). I have total confidence this jacket will keep me dry and feeling safe in the hills for years to come.

I'm still tempted with a lightweight pertex or paclite for a summer emergency jacket. The kangri really feels like a bomb proof option for when I know the whole day is going to be terrible weather. Pertex feels softer and there was just something that mentally made me think I'd feel "safer" (more cocooned) in a heavier goretex. It's not always just the rain, when you're getting hammered by heavy wind, it's nice to have something robust shielding you.

My advice would be go and try a few on - I personally didn't like the cut of a few I tried, or pocket locations, or hood. Also the feel of the inside against your skin - some felt rubbery and like they'd be sticky when wet.

As for trousers - on my second pair of Berghaus deluge. Not light or super breathable, but rugged and reliable.
davy_ludo
Mountain Walker

Munros:63   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby davy_ludo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:53 am

Also, if you're looking at buying a few items this year. Might be worth looking at mountaineering Scotland membership - £25 for first year and you get 15% discount in Cotswold and 10% in tiso and gooutdoors (as well as others).

I needed new boots, new jacket and wife needed a new bag. I've saved more than it cost in membership, and I've booked into a map reading course through Mountaineering Scotland as well.
davy_ludo
Mountain Walker

Munros:63   
Sub 2000:1   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk